Sign in with
Your question

Does overclocking just the processor void all warranties?

Last response: in Overclocking
April 26, 2008 12:38:28 AM

Simple overclocking question... before I start overclocking, does overclocking just the CPU... say 3.0 Ghz on a e8400 to 3.4. Does this void just my CPU warranty? Or does it void more warranties?
a b à CPUs
April 26, 2008 1:17:45 AM

Only if you specify to the company you overclocked your processor and caused the entire problem. Otherwise, they will normally take care of you. You would be more likely to damage your processor by overvolting it.
April 26, 2008 2:35:40 AM

badge said:
Only if you specify to the company you overclocked your processor and caused the entire problem. Otherwise, they will normally take care of you. You would be more likely to damage your processor by overvolting it.

Lol, yeah, there's no way for them to tell if it's overclocked or not. But you should be honest and tell them so they can void your warranty. :na: 
Related resources
April 26, 2008 4:14:23 AM

Hmm...so if I OC'ed my Q6600 and told Nvidia that, my 8800GTS 320MB's warranty would be voided? :??: 
April 26, 2008 5:58:38 AM

Evilonigiri said:
Hmm...so if I OC'ed my Q6600 and told Nvidia that, my 8800GTS 320MB's warranty would be voided? :??: 
No I meant like the motherboard and stuff. Obviously it wouldn't effect the gfx card.

April 26, 2008 2:58:46 PM

doomsdaydave11 said:
No I meant like the motherboard and stuff. Obviously it wouldn't effect the gfx card.

Not really, they might just go ahead and assume you didn't lock pcie clock while overclocking fsb, thus, affecting graphics card. Remember, people are greedy. :p 
April 26, 2008 3:10:56 PM

^ yep.they could say you mess with the voltage and stuff and made extra voltage pump through the PCI-E slot and made the graphics card go AAAHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!

dont be honest to them and just act innocent say suddenly it just happen and failed.sometime CPU fail they know you overclocked it but they cant just assume and cant put any proof to it then turn you away.
a b K Overclocking
a b à CPUs
April 26, 2008 3:27:18 PM

Good grief!
If you are worried about warranties and such, buy a Dell or HP and be done with it. If you are going to overclock and and mess around with voltages and the like, and you fry something, you should have enough balls to chalk it up to experience and your dumb ass.
You mess with, you fry it, you buy another one.
Can't afford to do that? Then don't mess with it. Leave it alone.
That is the way an honest upstanding person does it. Period.
Doesn't anyone have any kind morals or self respect values these days?
April 26, 2008 3:31:37 PM

^ very enlightening. n i did what u said. overclocked my cpu. n never touched my gpu. (not yet). at least let the new ones get out n get cheap. then ill burn this GT. lol
April 26, 2008 3:34:04 PM

night_wolf_in said:
^ very enlightening. n i did what u said. overclocked my cpu. n never touched my gpu. (not yet). at least let the new ones get out n get cheap. then ill burn this GT. lol

GPU is easier to overclock, so let her burn. :na: 
April 26, 2008 3:38:32 PM

^i know. dont wanna burn it n be broke. :(  at least when i burn it. ill have more cash n some better alternative to get newer cards.
April 26, 2008 3:56:47 PM

dagger said:
GPU is easier to overclock, so let her burn. :na: 

What's that I smell? is that smoke coming out of the top of the computer? Why is the screen black all of a sudden? :whistle: 
April 26, 2008 6:50:51 PM

sailer said:
What's that I smell? is that smoke coming out of the top of the computer? Why is the screen black all of a sudden? :whistle: 

I'm afraid you just burned out your Hard Drive.
April 26, 2008 6:54:25 PM

thank you for instead of answering my simple question, hijacking my thread. I'll take my question to overclockers.net.
April 26, 2008 7:14:25 PM

doomsdaydave11 said:
thank you for instead of answering my simple question, hijacking my thread. I'll take my question to overclockers.net.

Sorry for hijacking your thread, but we have already answered your question.

To sum it up:

OCing something like the CPU usually means OCing the motherboard and sometimes the ram. And OCing anything, as long as it's not covered by the manufacturer, will void the warranty. If your mobo specified the highest supported FSB at 1333MHz, then you can assume that's as high as you can go without voiding the warranty. The same applies to ram.

However, as we have said multiple times, if you don't tell anybody you did some OCing, the manufacturer has no way of telling that you did. So why tell them the truth? Besides, even with OC'ed components, they are going to outlast the warranties placed by the manufacturer. They know people do OC, so all they do is cover for a period of time where truly defective parts will fail.

It's up to you to take our answer or not.
April 26, 2008 7:22:46 PM

ok. thankyou. That's all I needed ")
!