Problem With Asus P5W DH. Need Advice On SATA / IDE

Smithy_83

Distinguished
Dec 5, 2007
Hello,

I recently got an Asus P5W DH Motherboard. I have installed Windows XP no problem.

I have 3 SATA Hard drives all different manfacturers and sizes and 1 IDE DVD-RW.

My first issue was i couldnt read dvd's etc in windows, so i changed the IDE enhanced mode in the bios to PATA and it worked ok.

My next issue though was when burning DVD's, i can only seem to burn at 1x.

How should i have the above configured? I have a load of SATA connectors so im just using the SATA 1, 3+4 Connectors, I'm not using the EZ_RAID sata connectors on the board etc. All i want is 3 hard disks and 1 DVD drive each doing their own thing, as 2 of the hard disks are currently full of downloaded data etc.

I tried changing the SATA mode from IDE to SATA and windows just reboots itself when loading.

Also 1 last thing, my RAM is being reported at PC-5300 when its actually PC-6400. How do i change this?

Cheers,

I would try changing the ide drive jumper to the slave position. If the system still won't boot up with both the ide and sata drives connected, disconnect the ide hardrive until you setup the other sata drives. Sata boot order must be configured in the bios. Use the sata hardrive with data you want to save as the first boot device. Then while running windows, I would load the hardrive software to setup the new empty sata hardrives as slave devices. The hardrive software will detect new drives even when windows won't, such as when you don't have the sata driver loaded yet for a new motherboard or you lack a floppy drive to load the sata driver for a fresh windows install. You can also make an exact copy of your data to a new hardrive(s). I've only tried this when making the new drive the boot device; but I'm pretty sure you can also make a copy when the new drive is a slave device.

Smithy_83

Distinguished
Dec 5, 2007
Thanks but my issue is slow dvd bruning, the system boots fine. i can only assume something is slowing the transfer between SATA hard disks and IDE DVDRW

djbrad007

Distinguished
Mar 2, 2007
Hi,

verify that your ide channel are set to udma instead of pio in device manager.

If not working, change the ide ribbon from PRIMARY IDE to the jmicron ide at bottom of mb.

Brad

Smithy_83

Distinguished
Dec 5, 2007
its stuck in PIO mode in device manager and refuses to chaNGE, i have done some research and a LOT of people have this problem.

does anyone have any ideas, i cant find a fix.

Smithy_83

Distinguished
Dec 5, 2007
I have tried registry tools, uninstalling IDE devices etc, it just stays in PIO mode.

i even reinstalled windows XP, no joy.

I didnt have this problem with my old motherboard. Would buying a new SATA DVDRW help?

Jast

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2008
When using the Second IDE channel (the JMicron one at the bottom of the MB, in the manual referred to as "PRI_EIDE") you have to install the JMircron RAID driver that comes with the motherboard -even though you are not using the RAID.
The reason for this is that the raid driver also contains a driver for the IDE channel.

If you don't install the driver Windows will install a "Standard Dual channel IDE driver" (or something like that), and connected devices will only be able to run in PIO mode.