advice on the final piece of my computer build (w/ a Q6600)

USMCMarine

Distinguished
Aug 2, 2007
why hello there people.

so for a long time now ive been an AMD kind of guy, but imagine my surprise when i get a xmas present of a Q6600!

b/c of my AMD followings, and a time-related situation (i have to surrender my current comp ASAP to my little cousin) i havent really much knowledge of Intel Mobos and cant exactly think of off the top of my head what fits my likings the best, so i was hoping some more knowledgeable people might be able to help me here. Below is a list of what i would like in my mobo and what i already own, i hope the people here can help me, im really new to the intel mobos and their specs.

i want in my mobo:
a good overclocker
non SLI
non RAID (i think, dunno how big the performance increase is, % wise)
relatively low price

i was building a setup prior to this big change in plans and the parts i currently have purchased and own already:
320gb IDE hard drive
zalman 9700
antec 900
8800gt
patriot 4gb

from my readings ive gathered that the GIGABYTE GA-P35-DS3L may be what im looking for, but i was just wondering if somebody else had some better suggestions.

Hello and welcome to the forums mate :)

ASUS P5K
ASUS P5K-E WIFI (The WIFI version has better cooling than normal P5K-E)
GIGABYTE P35 DS3R
GIGABYTE P35 DS3L
ABIT IP35 PRO

all of these are very good boards

rubix_1011

Contributing Writer
I have the PK5-E and the Q6600 and they work great. If you aren't planning (or need SLI) the P35 or X38 boards are great. Just make sure that if you plan on clocking that processor over 3.0ghz, you will need DD2-800 (at least) and DDR2-1066 (for the best abililty to hit higher clock speeds) to keep up your stability. Make sure you have a decent aftermarket cooler, that quad will get pretty hot as you add voltage and push it past 3.0!