Can I change my slave hard drive to my master hard drive?

dmq383

Distinguished
Sep 12, 2008
hey everyone. so the last month or so ive had problems with my system. i have 2 hard drives, one 80gig which is my master and a 300 gig thats used for storage. i recently reformatted the 80 gig one and did a new windows installation on it and then everything was fine.
the other day i went to boot the system up and it would load to the screen that says windows did not shut down properly and you can select safe mode and all that. so then i tried a repair with the windows disk and that didnt work either.

i dont know what the problem is but id love to fix it. i was considering trying to change my 300gig drive to the master drive and make the 80 gig one the slave.. if i do this, can i do it so that windows will be installed WITHOUT losing anything on either drive?

sturm

Splendid
Take the 300 gig drive out and see how the system runs. If the 80gig drive is going bad you will still have problems. So several boots and shutdowns to see if problem persists.
You can install windows on the 300 gig drive but I would hold off until you find out what the origional problem is caused by.