Sign in with
Your question

EVGA 8800GT and Blue Screen of Death

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
December 10, 2007 2:15:57 AM

Recently I've been getting blue screens here and there: once during cs: source, few times during Crysis, and once today while playing S.T.A.L.K.E.R. I'm using Windows Vista 64-Bit and my spec is AMD X2 3800+ @ 2.4 ghz, 500W Antec Smart Power 2 PSU, 3GB RAM, 120 GB hard drive, and the EVGA Geforce 8800GT Superclocked. Now I know there is always the possibility of my 8800GT being a defective product but I would just like to know if anyone else besides me is experiencing similar problems. Thanks.
December 10, 2007 3:25:17 AM

I don't have this card, but I read about issues with superclocked EVGA 8800GT's, some people have to downclock, or it may be a heating issue.
PS: In case you haven't done so, checkout the forum at evga.com, you'll find people like you, you'll find a new BIOS for your card if it has an old BIOS, info on keeping it cool with RivaTuner, and other things. Good luck.
December 10, 2007 5:01:53 AM

Thx for the tip. It could possibly be a BIOS issue but definitely not a heating issue because I cool it with an aftermarket cooler and my idle temperature is only 40 degrees while it hovers around 50 under load :) 
Related resources
December 10, 2007 7:49:24 AM

well blue screens can be caused by a variety of factors. The most common problem I've experienced that caused BSOD's are problems associated with the RAM and sometimes the motherboard. Usually before the graphic card actually dies, you'll observe heavy artifacting in games etc.

So make sure you pinpoint the exact problem! Otherwise sending in a completely fine video card won't help anything.
December 10, 2007 8:24:47 AM

johnyeah said:
well blue screens can be caused by a variety of factors. The most common problem I've experienced that caused BSOD's are problems associated with the RAM and sometimes the motherboard. Usually before the graphic card actually dies, you'll observe heavy artifacting in games etc.

So make sure you pinpoint the exact problem! Otherwise sending in a completely fine video card won't help anything.

Agreed. Most graphics cards will like he said artifact before a problem emerges or the system will freeze up (usually either just going black or freezing the actual pic causing you to need a manual restart). This card isnt very power hungry, but sometimes when changing out a new part it could be causing the power supply problems. As said above, the RAM is usually the guilty one in the blue screen of death. Even though this problem may not have been happening before you got the card I would try setting all of your OC'd settings back to normal and setting your voltages manually. Or try upping the voltage and checking if your system is 24+ hours orthos stable. Also...make sure all of your other temps are fine and last but not least that you have the latest updates on your OS, your software, and that your OS is clean (spyware, virus', and defragment).

These are all things that if are under control then you should definitely consider returning for a new card...especially since your cards temps are so good. Hope this helps!

Best,

3Ball
December 10, 2007 1:41:02 PM

It could be the RAM like you guys said since I've just installed a new 1GB stick right after I got the video card. I should do some testing....
December 10, 2007 8:06:43 PM

deltabullet said:
It could be the RAM like you guys said since I've just installed a new 1GB stick right after I got the video card. I should do some testing....

Ah, yea that sounds like it probably is the problem.

Best,

3Ball
!