Sign in with
Your question

Connecting two computers for gaming with crossover cable

Last response: in Networking
August 10, 2008 8:14:27 PM

I would like to connect two computers together for gaming (grandson wants to beat Grampa). Both computers have XP. After doing some research it seems the easiest way would be a "Crossover Cable". My question is the setup. I realize that I connect the two computers via the crossover cable with the lan ports. But ...

1. Do I have to have an internet connection when playing the game? If so do I have to have two LAN connections on one of computers?

2. Do I have to "Assign" IP addressses to each computer? If so how and what address?

3. Do I have to "Setup" the network in host computer?

If someone could give me a simple step by step instruction, I would really appreciate it (so would my grandson)!!!

I do have a wireless router, but it seems more complicated to set that up .. for now I would like to just get the crossover to work.
August 10, 2008 10:37:18 PM

Quote:
Do I have to have an internet connection when playing the game?

Only if the game requires an internet connection to play (not counting online multiplayer).

Quote:
Do I have to "Assign" IP addressses to each computer? If so how and what address?

If your router has more than 1 LAN port (most have 4) then just connect both computers to it. It will handle all the IP settings.

To assign IP addresses go to Control Panel > Network Connections > right click and select "properties" on the Local Area Connection you want to assign the IP address for. In the scroll window, highlight "Internet Protocol (TCP/IP)" and click properties.

In the past when I have used a crossover cable I have always entered manual IP settings to look like this:

Computer 1
IP addr: .............192.168.1.100
Subnet mask: ....255.255.255.0
Gateway: ...........192.168.1.101

Computer 2
IP addr: .............192.168.1.101
Subnet mask: ....255.255.255.0
Gateway: ..........192.168.1.100

Quote:
Do I have to "Setup" the network in host computer?

Both computers should automatically see each other without any additional setup. Getting the game working may take some extra troubleshooting.
!