what's the difference between 65nm CPUs

50bmg

Distinguished
Nov 16, 2007
I want to upgrade my hp to a modern cpu. Now, it has a P4 3.0 630. I email HP, their first email said, anything up to 1066FSB. I responded asking about the pentium dual cores. HP responded with my mb will only support Pentium 4 and pentium d 8xx up to 3.2. All 800FSB. I replied back and they responded with up to pentium d 920. Still 800FSB.

My question is, if my board will suport the P D 920, why won't it support a pentiumd dual core? Both 800FSB, both 65nm. I have not upgraded or built a pc in a couple of years, i am behind on the architecture. I have read some tech docs, but i just dont get the difference. The pentium d is netburst. What is the pentium dual core? is that the reason i can't use a pentium dual core?

Another thing. If it will support the P D 920 why not the pentium d 925?

HP support is so hit or miss. Never buy HP again.

weilin

Distinguished
not supporting pentium dual core could be true. only certain chipsets support the new core 2 arch. it is very possible that your board doesn't support the new core 2 processors and pentium dual cores.

As for the Pentium D 925. Its probably BS. However, It could not be supported because the motherboard doesn't have the chip information and won't be able to recognize the new chip revision properly.

50bmg

Distinguished
Nov 16, 2007
my board is old, but it has the 945G intel chipset. the intel site says it supports Core 2 duo. Your second statement is probably the issue. The board is old and HP isnt going to bother releasing a new Bios.

4745454b

Titan
FSB is only one of the things that your motherboard has to support. You also have to take into account the voltage regulators. The motherboard has to be able to supply a voltage that the CPU can accept. All 965 chipset motherboards can run the C2D, as can many/most 975s. (the 975 came out first, and couldn't run the C2D, they needed a redesign inorder to run it.) Some 945s can, but they need the same redesign as far as I know. No 915, 925, and 955 has run the C2D that I'm aware of. They might all run 800MHz FSB CPUs, but they can't supply the voltage the C2D requires.