Help computer shuts off every 3 seconds

cory1234

Distinguished
Dec 26, 2005
Im trying to isolate my problem. My computer worked fine when I shut it off last night. When I woke up it kept restarting every 3 seconds. I reset the CMOS battery on the motherboard already. When I power it up, every fan runs on the inside. I disconnected the harddrive, tried different graphics card, still restarts. It restarts automatically over and over as well, I have to unplug the power before it stops.

Is this a motherboard problem or a PSU problem? I have an OCZ 850w powerxstream...I had a 600w Stealthxstream but something was wrong with that one. Motherboard is the gigabyte DS3R.

sgtwally

Distinguished
Jan 10, 2006
I had the same issue, and posted the same questions.. I tested every last component, right down to every case cable and button.. afterwards I gave up , said screw it bought a new mobo .. ( which is usually the issue, that or the PS, anyways after removing the old mobo .. I noticed a couple motherboard capacitors were blown.. which obviously turned out to be my problem ..I recommned the mag light!

GuyAmI

Distinguished
Feb 8, 2007
Do you know if there were any power spikes, brown outs, black outs, odd power interruptions? Anything like that? Do you maybe have an extra power supply that you know is good that you could try out?

racegek

Distinguished
Mar 24, 2007
have to agree with sgtwally, happend to me twice , once on a mb and the other in the psu .

if the capacitors are blown you can replace them.

rgeist554

Distinguished
Oct 15, 2007
Look for the big round cylinders on the mobo. Usually wrapped in a black plastic with the silver top exposed. (There is usually an X or cross scored on the top of them) Check them for any doming (They should be completely flat) or any obvious damages.

Also, resetting the CMOS battery won't necessarily reset your BIOS. You need to read your manual about resetting them.

*edited for spelling*

cory1234

Distinguished
Dec 26, 2005
Yeah, well I doubt that resetting the bios would have any affect because I've been running those bios for about 3 months with no problem.

I have had a problem with my first PS from OCZ in this computer..so I'm guessing the new one is the faulty piece again. Is there any way to check? I dont have a spare computer to put it in though.