G92 GTS Updates

jjblanche

Distinguished
Nov 19, 2007
I just talked to a friend of mine, who is a high ranking denizen of CompUSA (lol). Apparently they've got some of the BFG cards in stock, with a price of $370 (not being released until Tuesday). He said he's talked to several of his cronies that work at BestBuy, who have some "connections," and they speculate that the card is MSRP for $350, with prices ranging anywhere from $350 to $420, just for the basic card (depending on where you get it). One might expect a clocked out eVGA to go in the low $400's based upon these prices. Of course, this could all just be hogwash.

Me? I'm waiting until mid-end of January to do a build (need Q9450). I normally don't wait to build based on one piece of hardware, but we're on the cusp of 45nm, so what the hell? Maybe they'll have a 1 gig GTS by then. Then, in February, when the 9800 monsters come out, I'll step right on up.

Pollux

Distinguished
Nov 24, 2007

Same here, Just got an EVGA card, I just hope the new series dont get pushed back so it falls under the step up program. =)

DigitalDragon

Distinguished
Mar 6, 2005
If I'm waiting like JJBlanche, and getting a 8800GT/GTS very soon BUT I'm also getting a Q6600 together with it over Christmas. I've already waited several months for a new rig and don't want to wait any longer. Would it be a mistake to get a Q6600 now instead of a Q9450 in February? Will it make a big difference if I use it mainly for gaming?

jjblanche

Distinguished
Nov 19, 2007
DigitalDragon: Wait for Q9450. Yes, it will make a difference, especially for longevity's sake. I was in the same boat as you about a week ago. I have the cash right now to go out and get a Q6600-based system. I've been waiting a while to game, and I just wanna get on with it. However, I know I'd be kicking myself come January 15th, when Q9450 comes out. The 12mb cache will be a definite improvement, and it'll overclock ON AIR as far as most motherboards can go (given the 8x multiplier).

All in all, 4GHz and 12mb/cache sounds mighty nice next to a processor that MIGHT make 3.6 on air (more like 3.3-3.4), and has 8MB of cache. Ultimately, though, you have to make the call. It was hard for me, but waiting an extra few weeks will make the games that much sweeter when I finally get to play them.