2x2 Gig or 4x1 Gig?

rentoner

Distinguished
Nov 28, 2007
I buying a new system and I'm going to put 4Gig or RAM into it.

I'm just deciding on which brand right now, and came across the following scenario:

The Patriot Extreme Performance Low Latency (4-4-4-12) 4 Gig kit (2x 2 Gig) is about $200 with a $20 mail-in rebate for total of $180.

The Patriot Extreme Performance Low Latency (4-4-4-12) 2 Gig (2x 1 Gig) is about $80 with a $40 mail-in rebate. If I get 2 of these, the grand total for 4 Gig would be $80.

That is a huge difference for the same type of RAM, just one configuration is 2 2Gig sticks, and the other is using all 4 RAM slots on my motherboard with 1Gig sticks in each.

Does anyone know what kind of performance variations would occur with using 4 1 Gig sticks from 2 kits instead of 2 2Gig sticks from 1 kit?

mahoumatic

Distinguished
Oct 9, 2006
2GB x 2 in Dual Channel will be a little bit faster than 4GB x 1 (2-5%),
which was tested when I was doing a review with DDR2-533/667 and
on a Pentium Extreme Edition Platform. I guess the result would also be
applicable to current Core 2 Duo/Quad platform...

2GB x 2 on one hand with less no. of memory chip and a shorter overall
circuit than 4GB x 1, and on the other hand should be able to go for
lower latency setting because of less compatibility issue with memory
chips and mainboard chipsets (Intel)/processor memory controller
(AMD)...

OOOwatah

Distinguished
Oct 8, 2007
Do you plan on putting more RAM into the machine later?

If so, go with the 2x2 for now. If not, 4x1 will be the more cost effective choice.

sailer

Splendid
You might also check the rebates. Often they can only be used once, so you would get one 2x1 set of $40 and the second for $80. At $120, that's still cheaper than $180 for the 2x2 set, but it does make the choice it closer. You might also check on other differences, like the make of the IC chips. If the 2x2 set uses a better IC chip, like the Micron D9, then the 4x1 set would use, then the 2x2 set would have better response to overclocking.

Agreed. Those Micron chips are legendary.

rentoner

Distinguished
Nov 28, 2007
Cool, thanks for the info. I am not currently using a 64bit OS, but want to be upgradeable in the near future, and wouldn't mind also leaving some space for future RAM upgrades when that time comes. My concern was really 100% on performance of the system, as the cost and scalability I can understand. Now that I know there may be some difference (even if slight to small), I'll go with the 2x2Gig so I can also remain open for upgrades.