jjblanche

Distinguished
Nov 19, 2007
This depends on how long you have left on step-up. If you're running out of time, if you only have two weeks or less left, then go for it. If you have a month or more, wait. They'll be releasing a 1 gig GTS sometime soon, probably January, which would be the direct replacement for your current card. 9800's on the horizon in February...

Either way, g92 anything smokes the old GTS, 640 MB or not.

Of course a 8800GT 512 is better than a 8800GTS 640 BUT :

1_Do u have any problems with your games ?is there anything u cant play @ good settings ?

2_Upgrade something when u really dont get performance from what u have

If it doesnt cost alot then go for it, otherwise dont get it

leo2kp

Distinguished
Well since the 8800GT KO 512 is actually cheaper than the vanilla 8800GTS 320 (by $10), and the vanilla 640 by $90 (according to EVGA.com), then they should technically pay you the difference for the Step Up. But if they don't, it should be an even exchange which means there's really no reason not to except for to wait for the new GTS's to come out ;)

Now that I've convinced myself, anyone wanna buy a 7900GT KO 512 for $200? Still retails for $380!! ^.^

G

Its an even swap. You pay shipping both ways, which amounts to about $30 total.

jjblanche

Distinguished
Nov 19, 2007
Wait for the new GTS. Dual slot cooler is worth it by itself, not to mention the added performance. If I were you, I'd wait until there was about a week left on your step-up, then just spring for whatever you can get at that time.

ganpachi

Distinguished
Aug 16, 2007
so to recap, if you step up on THE VERY LAST DAY and they are on backorder, that doesn't count aggainst you, does it? coz I got 5 days left on my 320mb... :(

sailer

Splendid

As best I know, it doesn't matter if they are backordered or not, as long as you have the order in. You may be required to send the old card back to them while the back order is being filled, so unless you have another card to use temporarily, you may be waiting around with a dead computer. For sure, call EVGA yourself and confirm the matter, including writing down the date you called, the name of the person you talked with, and if you are given a confirmation number, write that down as well.

enewmen

Distinguished
Mar 6, 2005
the "new' GTS will be only a little faster than the GT 512.
There will be new high-end cards this Spring (like the 9800GTX/3900) Whatever they are called and not sure exactly when they will be out (February for some cards).
Anyway, there is not a huge difference. Just get a 3870 or wait a little for the GTS 512 and this will last you until the big cards come out. The true next-gen cards will be out early 2009 if you can wait that long.

No, with Backorders they take your request as having been submitted within the 90 days, and then you don't have to give back the other card until they have them available and in stock. It's in the Step-up FAQ.

But if they are on back-order that does mean you are at the back of the line until they aren't anymore, so you would probably be sending them your card in January.

If it's just for the price of shipping and your step-up time is running out though, then it's a good option, and you still get to game until they have the card ready for you.

So if the GTS-rev3 does appear on their site tommorow for anywhere near rumoured MSRP, then I'd suggest submitting your request right away if you've only got days left, there's nothing else coming out in the next 5-18 days, and you have nothing to lose. Of course if it's substantially over the $30 shipping cost, then you need to factor that in.

sailer

Splendid

That was what I intended to say, that if you have an order in, it doesn't matter whether or not the new card is backordered. Didn't know for sure about sending in the old card, which is why I suggested calling EVGA for details. Oh well, thanks for clearing the matter up.

homerdog

Distinguished
Apr 16, 2007
It would certainly be a worthwhile upgrade. If eVGA's prices are in line with the MSRP (which they usually are) you should only have to pay for shipping. When I went from my 320MB GTS to my 512MB GT it was only $14.05. It did take a while, probably due to the shortages. They sent me a superclocked GT (650/950) for the price of the stock card though, so it's all good.

mrmez

Splendid
I have a gts 320, and after looking at the benches long and hard, i decided it was not worth it for the small gain considering the GT isnt supposed to be out for long and there are new unknown cards coming out next 2-3 months.

The other thing to think about is how many of the step-up orders are going to build up.

I wonder if there won't be a few hundred or even thousand people waiting for the back-order embargo to end. I'd be very interested in finding out when the people who apply for the step-up at launch get them compared to people to apply in like 1-2 weeks, it could be a difference between January and February. But the reality is if it's your time to step-up, then there hasn't been a much better time since the GTX launch (and maybe the GT launch), and the next one will likely be the GF9 series launch, which may come just in time for those buying a new GT/GTS now.

That's true if you're buying new, but if you're doing the step-up on a card older than a few weeks (in which case you'd probably have been looking for a GT or HD3870) then the Gf9 cards aren't an option.

As a straight up replacement, I'd say they aren't worth it unless you can sell your old GTS for a significant amount of money, or unless the GTS just really isn't cutting it (like in games bove 16x12 with high settings).

Actually, usually they're slightly higher than MSRP, like the GT is right now. They don't have greatly inflated prices the way we're seeing on e-tailers right now, but they are usually about 10-20% above MSRP, which they can easily command thanks to their benefits like the double-lifetime guarantee and step-up program.

homerdog

Distinguished
Apr 16, 2007

Yeah, the 8800GT that I stepped up to was listed at ~$260, but that was still less than I paid for the 320MB GTS. By in line I meant close, not dead on. I should have been clearer.

jjblanche

Distinguished
Nov 19, 2007
To recap, if you only have until the 18th, jump on the g92 GTS as soon as it comes on eVGA's web page. I know of at least two people that have already gotten g92's early from CompUSA, which indicates to me that they are, indeed, being released tomorrow (the 11th). The g92 will be a nice upgrade for you, and will cost very little, if anything.