artistin805

Distinguished
Jul 17, 2008
So Im still deciding about a Dell Workstation Or home-built...Still wondering for my Graphic Desktop about the scratch-&- start-up drives....

Can i get away with a Dell worksation....Or will i see a money\return for the home built with seperate drives start-up, scratch,and write?

When are Scratch drives a real need-or-improvement in Photoshop CS3
Will i see any gains that are really drastic enough for the money?

Stay away from a dell unless you dont care about being able to upgrade. I have seen many times over where people ask about upgrading their dells and they cant because dell cut corners and put cheap mobos that dont have pci express or agp slots and they are stuck with pci slots and its useless.

Many other reasons I could list but you get the point. If you want the best bang for the buck I would build it. Do your homework 1st so you know you are building with hardware that will get the job done and then some.

If you want to open the box, get out the pc and hook it up and use it and do nothing else but use it then get the dell.

I hate to say get the dell but my last reason is the only reason I would say that.

What are you talking about startup, scratch and write?

Are you trying to say something about the DVD dual layer rewrite drives? Give a link to a site that has info explaining what you are talking about so we better understand...

artistin805

Distinguished
Jul 17, 2008
Yeah Im talking about seperate hard drives.
My thoughts are to have a start-up/ Program drive

http://www.pricewatch.com/hard_removable_drives/sata_10000rpm.htm
AscendTech 74GB 10000Rpm 8MB Cache $56.98

And add a AscendTech 36GB 10000RPM
36GB Serial ATA (SATA) 10000Rpm 8MB Cache $56.98

for scratch in photoshop

& another drive for Main large storage drive i cant decide internal or external
AscendTech Limited-Time-Offer!!!
500GB Serial ATA 7200 Rpm Hard Drive$56.37

These are brands in my price range I just found for example