Sign in with
Your question

Show hidden files & folders

Last response: in Windows XP
May 2, 2010 4:15:17 PM

Hi

Changing the option to show hidden files & folders in the wiew tab , the changes does'nt take effect , and if it does it will be temporarly and the selection will be restored by itself to the default setting after sometimes.

I am using windows XP SP2.

Thanks
May 2, 2010 7:22:56 PM

georgejabr said:
Hi

Changing the option to show hidden files & folders in the wiew tab , the changes does'nt take effect , and if it does it will be temporarly and the selection will be restored by itself to the default setting after sometimes.

I am using windows XP SP2.

Thanks

Go from your Start button to Run and in the Open box, type regedit then hit Enter. From the File menu, choose Export and note down the location of the file you create as a backup in case anything goes wrong.

Then, navigate to HKEY_CURRENT_USER>Software>Microsoft>Windows>CurrentVersion>Explorer>Advanced and in the right hand pane, double click on Hidden and change the value to 1.

Exit the Registry from the File menu and restart the computer. See if that helped.
May 2, 2010 9:12:51 PM

Hi Saga

Thanks for your reply, the process did half of the Job. Once the selection persist in (1) clicking refresh on the white screen of the hidden files, the files are shown. Now if I hit refresh another time (or close the window & open it again) the files are hidden . Running regedit again , the selection read (2) instead of (1).

It's really funny.

Related resources
May 3, 2010 6:20:29 AM

georgejabr said:
Hi Saga

Thanks for your reply, the process did half of the Job. Once the selection persist in (1) clicking refresh on the white screen of the hidden files, the files are shown. Now if I hit refresh another time (or close the window & open it again) the files are hidden . Running regedit again , the selection read (2) instead of (1).

It's really funny.

[#0005ff]Probably not funny because it might point to a serious malware infection. If you're sur ethere isn't a Group Policy entry set by a system or network administrator to prevent you seeing some files, then you need to scan for malware. Go to http://www.malwarebytes.org and download MalwareBytes. Install it, let it update and restart itself and run the Full Scan. When it finishes, click on Show Results and then on Remove Selected and restart the system. You cold o back in and click the Logs tab and post the log back here if you have any doubts. Posters can then see what you got rid of and assess what may remain.[/#000ff]
May 3, 2010 6:32:43 AM

Hi Saga

This problem occur immediately after formatting my PC. And before connecting to the internet.
May 3, 2010 7:39:28 AM

Hi

A full scan has been performed and the detection of the following infected files are registered and removed. Unfortunately the problem remain.

Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware 1.46
www.malwarebytes.org

Database version: 4060

Windows 5.1.2600 Service Pack 2
Internet Explorer 8.0.6001.18702

03/05/2010 11:19:18 AM
mbam-log-2010-05-03 (11-19-18).txt

Scan type: Full scan (C:\|)
Objects scanned: 130387
Time elapsed: 25 minute(s), 22 second(s)

Memory Processes Infected: 0
Memory Modules Infected: 0
Registry Keys Infected: 1
Registry Values Infected: 1
Registry Data Items Infected: 3
Folders Infected: 0
Files Infected: 3

Memory Processes Infected:
(No malicious items detected)

Memory Modules Infected:

Registry Keys Infected:
HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\CLSID\MADOWN (Worm.Magania) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.

Registry Values Infected:
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run\nod32 (Spyware.OnlineGames) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.

Registry Data Items Infected:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Security Center\AntiVirusDisableNotify (Disabled.SecurityCenter) -> Bad: (1) Good: (0) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Security Center\UpdatesDisableNotify (Disabled.SecurityCenter) -> Bad: (1) Good: (0) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Advanced\Folder\Hidden\SHOWALL\CheckedValue (Hijack.System.Hidden) -> Bad: (0) Good: (1) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.

Folders Infected:

Files Infected:
C:\Documents and Settings\Georges\Local Settings\Temp\nodqq.exe (Spyware.OnlineGames) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
C:\Documents and Settings\Georges\Local Settings\Temp\nodqq0.dll (Spyware.OnlineGames) -> Delete on reboot.
C:\Documents and Settings\Georges\Local Settings\Temp\nodqq1.dll (Spyware.OnlineGames) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
May 3, 2010 4:13:54 PM

georgejabr said:
Hi

A full scan has been performed and the detection of the following infected files are registered and removed. Unfortunately the problem remain.

Have you tried my Registry fix since running that scan?

May 3, 2010 5:50:48 PM

Yes Saga but nothing has changed, anyway thanks for your help.
May 3, 2010 7:28:11 PM

georgejabr said:
Yes Saga but nothing has changed, anyway thanks for your help.

One more shot at the Registry. Go to

H_KEY_LOCAL_MACHINE>Software>Microsoft>Windows>CurrentVersion>Advanced>Explorer>Folder>Hidden

Do you have a sub called SHOWALL and in the right hand pane, is it showing a (1) against CheckedValue? If it's a zero, please change it.

May 3, 2010 8:01:48 PM

Hi Saga

The Last selection in the registry is Advanced. Folder>hidden are not there.
Anyway I have downloaded Avira antivirus and delete some virus and repeat the above task, it has shown the hidden files but once it's disabled through tools>folder options> don't show hidden files , to show them again I have to repeat the same procedure through regedit , (were (0) value now appear instead of 2) by replacing (0) by (1) .

The process through tools>folder options>and show hidden files reflect a blank selection in both options (show or don't show)

!