New idea for touch-screen/thumbboard text-input on tiny de..

July 5, 2005 6:17:10 PM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.handhelds,comp.sys.palmtops,comp.human-factors (More info?)

A few weeks ago I came with an ingenious idea for entering textual data
on a hand-held device with touch-sensitive screen or
thumbboard/trackball, the kind that are too small for any sort of
regular keyboard, but the typical cell-phone text-message method of
using touch-tone telephone-number pad to code numbers and text by
repeated taps on same key followed by pause is horribly
user-unfriendly, and trying to handwrite or hand-print with finger or
stylus would be slow and painful.

Today I remembered my idea again, and decided to ask if anyone would
help me develop this invention, hence this post.

Of course my idea wouldn't be applicable to devices that have a
built-in keyboard, such as: Psion (the only one I could see mentionned
in newsgroups I searched with Google).

But perhaps myidea would be an good upgrade for smaller devices with no
room for any physical keyboard, such as: Fossil's FX2008 Wrist PDA,
Compaq's iPAQ Pocket PC 3950, PalmPilot w/Graffiti, Simputer, Sharp
SL-5000, PC-Ephone, ...
Anonymous
July 6, 2005 10:01:42 AM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.handhelds,comp.sys.palmtops,comp.human-factors (More info?)

The Sharp Zaurus has a great builtin keyboard - which makes it really
easy to use on the move without a need for handwriting.

But generally, I am interested in innovative UI approaches for the
QuantumSTEP project to extend its area of use towards non-PDA (e.g.
phone) form factors. Please send a PM.

-- hns
Project Lead QuantumSTEP
http://www.quantum-step.com
Anonymous
July 27, 2005 8:19:04 PM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.handhelds,comp.sys.palmtops,comp.human-factors (More info?)

> From: hns@computer.org
> Please send a PM.

In common usage, PM means Post Meridian (afternoon) or Phase Modulation.
I have no idea what you mean in this context.
July 28, 2005 6:41:09 AM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.handhelds,comp.sys.palmtops,comp.human-factors (More info?)

In forum usage it means "Private Message" or "Private Mail"...
Anonymous
August 2, 2005 2:02:44 AM

Robert Maas, see http://tinyurl.com/uh3t wrote:
> H> From: h...@computer.org
> H> Please send a PM.
> H> From: h...@computer.org
> H> In forum usage it means "Private Message" or "Private Mail"...
>
> Ah, thanks for the explanation.

I hadn't heard of that one, either.

> So how do I do that? I don't know your e-mail address.
>
> Thursday evening Google Groups switched the last of their sites to
> Broken Beta, which castrates your e-mail address, as I've quoted above,
> so there's no longer any way to find out your e-mail address by looking
> at what you posted to a newsgroup.

That may be another reason to not use Google for newsgroups. I just
took a peek at Google groups and it apparently has a Reply to Author
function under Options. You might try that.

FYI, my newsreader shows the author as hns@computer.org, apparently a
valid address.

FWIW, the news server on my old ISP was taken down. My new ISP never
provided news. Teranews.com, which I used for several months is having
problems big time. Yesterday I signed up for Octanews, which appears to
be a winner. The price is very reasonable.

Thad
!