Sign-in / Sign-up
Your question

Quad-Core Beasts! Intel vs. AMD (9500, 9550, Q6600)

Tags:
  • CPUs
  • AMD
  • Motherboards
  • Intel
Last response: in CPUs
December 10, 2007 8:02:24 PM

Okay, I have been looking around and deciding as some of you may know. I have bought almost all the other parts of my computer but I still have yet to buy my motherboard and processor. I am still torn between AMD and Intel, but I do want a Quad-Core system.

So here are my options, I think I narrowed it down to three

1)
CPU- AMD Phenom X4 Agena 9500 @2.2Ghz Quad-Core
RAM- 2GB (2x1GB) DDR2 800mhz Crucial Ballistix
Motherboard- MSI Platinum AMD 790FX AM2+
GPU- 2x CF VisionTek ATI Radeon HD3870s 512mb

2)
CPU- AMD Athlon 64 X2 5000+ Black Ed. (upgrade to Phenom 9550 later)
RAM- 2GB (2x1GB) DDR2 800mhz Crucial Ballistix
Motherboard- MSI Platinum AMD 790FX AM2+
GPU- 2x CF VisionTek ATI Radeon HD3870s 512mb

3)
CPU- Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 @2.66Ghz Quad-Core
RAM- 2GB (2x1GB) DDR2 800mhz Crucial Ballistix
Motherboard- Asus P5E Intel X38 LGA 775
GPU- 2x CF VisionTek ATI Radeon HD3870s 512mb


My motherboard needs to be able to do Crossfire, support Pci-E 2.0, and Overclock well.
The AMD solutions fit together really well (Spider Platform), and offer eveyrthing I need, but Intel just seems to be a little bit better in every way... I really like AMD, but the Intel option is just something I cant overlook, I really am having a hard time choosing. The Intel option also is a little more expensive, mobo is $50-60 more, CPU is $30-40 more, but is also faster...

More about : quad core beasts intel amd 9500 9550 q6600

December 10, 2007 8:26:36 PM

if you go with AMD system get the 5000+ and upgrade to a Phenom next year when the faster versions come out.
December 10, 2007 8:27:29 PM

Even if you were considering Phenom, I wouldn't buy it just yet. Wait for the B3 revisions and see if all the bugs are fixed, then buy one. Personally I would go with the Spider platform since everything fits together so nicely with each other, but that's just me :p 
Related resources
December 10, 2007 8:57:47 PM

Nab the intel system. the x2's offer a very great budget processor. But their phenoms are really not worth investing a dime in atm. Even so, you can oc the q6600 to 3 ghz without even a voltage change...for 280 bucks, and just a few seconds in the bios and some orthos testing, you get the performance of a processor worth a grand.

Just nab the q6600 ^_^...Then just push it to 3 ghz. If you want more performance, up the voltage, and get it up as a far as you can. You might have to pay a tad bit more for the processor/mobo...But the performance is leaps and bounds over the other two solutions.
December 10, 2007 9:59:01 PM

I was just talking to someone who has a q6600 and he said it was alright performance wise but compared to like high end C2D it wasn't all that special. But also he said he didn't OC, I plan to a lot and future apps will take advantage of the 4 cores. So if I OC to say 3.2Ghz what kind of performance would that yield? Paired with 2 CF 3870s and 4Gb of ram
December 10, 2007 10:05:28 PM

Q6600. Simple as that.
December 10, 2007 10:08:42 PM

Xpyrofuryx said:
I was just talking to someone who has a q6600 and he said it was alright performance wise but compared to like high end C2D it wasn't all that special. But also he said he didn't OC, I plan to a lot and future apps will take advantage of the 4 cores. So if I OC to say 3.2Ghz what kind of performance would that yield? Paired with 2 CF 3870s and 4Gb of ram


If you want the performance now and you dont want to "upgrade" to much in the near future the Q6600 and Overclock would be the way to go. Q6600 at ~3ghz will negate the better performance of the high end dual cores that your friend was talking about as the clocks would be closer to the same.

If you were upgrading in the near future the AMD might be the way to go, go with the 5000+ now and when phenom irons its bugs out it should be nice, coop that with the spider platform and you maybe in FTW (assuming AMD fixes current issues).

Just out of curiousity where are you getting the MSI board from? cant find them anywhere ... + watch out there could be a quick upgrade to most spider mainboards when the SB700 hits the streets.
a c 213 à CPUs
a c 103 V Motherboard
a b À AMD
a b å Intel
December 10, 2007 10:17:06 PM

Xpyrofuryx said:
I was just talking to someone who has a q6600 and he said it was alright performance wise but compared to like high end C2D it wasn't all that special. But also he said he didn't OC, I plan to a lot and future apps will take advantage of the 4 cores. So if I OC to say 3.2Ghz what kind of performance would that yield? Paired with 2 CF 3870s and 4Gb of ram


Yes without OC'ing the Q6600 stock is nothing more special but still in comparison to a C2D a Q6600 is future proof when more and more games/apps become multi threaded in such things as physics off loaded to the CPU instead of the GPU you will see a FPS jump. Also if you take a C2D E6600 stock and compare it to a Q6600 stock in say HL2 E2 you will see a difference in the FPS as there are more cores to offload other tasks to and the physics to.

And if you do that setup you will see a big jump in perfromance. I would say it would easily beat a E6850 since it will be clocked higher and run at the same voltage area and temps.

I for one love my Q6600. On Vista I never notice a slowdown at all no matter what I am doing and it takes like 10 seconds to unzip a 1GB file.

As for the starting question I would go Q6600. Phenom is not worth investing in and a 5000+ BE doesn't OC as well as the Q6600. CFX sounds tempting but not worth it right now(not until they have pure x16 PCIe 2.0 on all lanes but then you would need a new mobo for the support(due to it will only be available on the latest chipsets kinda like an Intel chipset. Plus the Q6600 is only a bit more than the 9500 and offers much better performance per clock and per watt.

But if you want true performance jumps I would say build a low end system for now and then upgrade to a Nehalem with Larabee(Intels GPU) when they come out. I for one just built my system but plan on upping to a 32nm Nehalem when it hits the market and I want a 8 core CPU.
December 10, 2007 10:47:36 PM

I am always waiting for the next thing though, I've waited long enough, I want a new rig lol.

And also the msi board was on newegg but just do a google product search.
December 10, 2007 11:17:21 PM

Since you're going with dual 3870s, you'd want the fastest CPU you can afford to avoid bottlenecking in games. I'd go with the Q6600 system, it may cost a bit more but is definitely worth it, especially if you overclock. Even at stock speeds it will be 20% faster than the Phenom system, if you compare max overclock the Q6600 will be closer to 40% faster, considering Phenoms are having difficulty overclocking past 2.8GHz while Q6600 can normally do 3.6GHz on air, plus it has a 10% higher IPC.
December 10, 2007 11:21:45 PM

the Q6600 can do 3.6ghz on air?? Hmm that's nice, that's some nice Performance, didn't know that, I thought 3.2ghz was pushing it
December 10, 2007 11:26:44 PM

Yeah, 3.6GHz is fairly common, generally all you need is a good HSF and about 1.4V (0.1V above stock). Make sure you get a G0 stepping Q6600 though, it runs cooler and overclocks higher than the older B3 stepping. I'm not sure if B3 Q6600s are still around, but it doesn't hurt to make sure.
December 10, 2007 11:27:11 PM

i'm not sure the Quad Core AMD's yet qualify as a beast.

more like a gerbil.
December 10, 2007 11:32:17 PM

Xpyrofuryx said:
Okay, I have been looking around and deciding as some of you may know. I have bought almost all the other parts of my computer but I still have yet to buy my motherboard and processor. I am still torn between AMD and Intel, but I do want a Quad-Core system.

So here are my options, I think I narrowed it down to three

1)
CPU- AMD Phenom X4 Agena 9500 @2.2Ghz Quad-Core
RAM- 2GB (2x1GB) DDR2 800mhz Crucial Ballistix
Motherboard- MSI Platinum AMD 790FX AM2+
GPU- 2x CF VisionTek ATI Radeon HD3870s 512mb

2)
CPU- AMD Athlon 64 X2 5000+ Black Ed. (upgrade to Phenom 9550 later)
RAM- 2GB (2x1GB) DDR2 800mhz Crucial Ballistix
Motherboard- MSI Platinum AMD 790FX AM2+
GPU- 2x CF VisionTek ATI Radeon HD3870s 512mb

3)
CPU- Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 @2.66Ghz Quad-Core
RAM- 2GB (2x1GB) DDR2 800mhz Crucial Ballistix
Motherboard- Asus P5E Intel X38 LGA 775
GPU- 2x CF VisionTek ATI Radeon HD3870s 512mb


My motherboard needs to be able to do Crossfire, support Pci-E 2.0, and Overclock well.
The AMD solutions fit together really well (Spider Platform), and offer eveyrthing I need, but Intel just seems to be a little bit better in every way... I really like AMD, but the Intel option is just something I cant overlook, I really am having a hard time choosing. The Intel option also is a little more expensive, mobo is $50-60 more, CPU is $30-40 more, but is also faster...


The Q6600 actually runs at 2.4GHz. The Q6700 is the one that runs at 2.67GHz.
December 11, 2007 3:28:49 AM

justinmcg67 said:
Q6600. Simple as that.


Agreed. I fail to see the point in buying a dual core CPU now - only to upgrade to a quad core in a few months.
December 11, 2007 12:53:56 PM

I have talked to two people in the last 2 days in real life who own a Q6600 and one said it was alright, but nothing special, but he didn't overclock. The other said he wasn't all that impressed with his either, not sure if he overclocked. Isn't the Q6600 just two E6600s pasted together, and the E6600 is a fast chip so shouldnt the Q6600 either perform at E6600 performance or better in apps that take advantage of 4 cores and multi-tasking? And shouldnt a OCd Q6600 (to 3.6Ghz+) be at core 2 extreme levels?
December 11, 2007 1:11:39 PM

I would go Q6600, it seems that intel has the better upgrade path at this time.
a c 173 à CPUs
a c 156 V Motherboard
a b å Intel
December 11, 2007 1:27:45 PM

This is a related question:

Where can I get a G0 stepping Q6600?
December 11, 2007 1:36:05 PM

Xpyrofuryx said:
I was just talking to someone who has a q6600 and he said it was alright performance wise but compared to like high end C2D it wasn't all that special. But also he said he didn't OC, I plan to a lot and future apps will take advantage of the 4 cores. So if I OC to say 3.2Ghz what kind of performance would that yield? Paired with 2 CF 3870s and 4Gb of ram


That'd be a stonking rig capable of spanking any game out there at reasonable resolutions.
December 11, 2007 1:44:11 PM

jsc said:
This is a related question:

Where can I get a G0 stepping Q6600?



No worries mate! Don´t think anybody sell the old ones anymore.

I have a q6600 and it runs just fin with standard cooling @ 3000mhz. Think that i can push it even more if i like.
q6600 @ 3000mhz
Gigabyte GA-P35-DQ6
OCZ Reaper HPC 2GB
BFG 8800gt oc 626mhz
Raptor 74gb
= ~18500 points in 3dMark05

Not a beast! But works lika a charm!
December 11, 2007 5:22:38 PM

Q6600
2Gb RAM
8800GT isn't a beast?

Will mine be?
Q6600 3.6ghz
4Gb ram
2x 3870s
December 11, 2007 5:36:14 PM

My Q6600 runs 24/7 at 3.6 GHz on air.. it's a joke to overclock (on a decent motherboard).

I've had it up to 3.8 GHz on air with some tweaking and I'd expect 4.0 GHz out of this chip on water.

G0s can be ordered from ClubIT.com - That's where I got mine from.
a c 173 à CPUs
a c 156 V Motherboard
a b å Intel
December 11, 2007 8:16:25 PM

cnumartyr said:
My Q6600 runs 24/7 at 3.6 GHz on air.. it's a joke to overclock (on a decent motherboard).

I've had it up to 3.8 GHz on air with some tweaking and I'd expect 4.0 GHz out of this chip on water.

G0s can be ordered from ClubIT.com - That's where I got mine from.


Thanks. newegg is my mail order vender of choice, but I heard elsewhere that about three weeks ago they were still shipping B3's. I wanted to go with Penryn, but I heard recently that they are incompatible with 680i motherboards.
December 11, 2007 9:54:04 PM

nightscope said:
Wait for the B3 revisions and see if all the bugs are fixed, then buy one.


Wait for someone else to buy a B3 revision and let them find out if the bugs are fixed or not. No point in learning the lesson the hard way if you dont have to
December 11, 2007 11:48:37 PM

Raviolissimo said:
i'm not sure the Quad Core AMD's yet qualify as a beast.

more like a gerbil.

a crippled gerbil...
December 11, 2007 11:50:57 PM

jsc said:
Thanks. newegg is my mail order vender of choice, but I heard elsewhere that about three weeks ago they were still shipping B3's. I wanted to go with Penryn, but I heard recently that they are incompatible with 680i motherboards.


No problem. The Q6600 is a great chip.
December 12, 2007 12:28:59 AM

The Q6600 does not hit 3.0 99% of the time without a good aftermarket cooler and a voltage increase. Taking into account all of the stress you put on your MB doing it as well shortening its life and greatly increasing the chances of burning your system up its just not worth it in any way. If you are a gamer and dont feel like risking a new MB or CPU in possibly hours after first boot then stay away from the Q6600. If you dont game then there is little to no point in OCing the Q6600.

I dare to see a Q6600 system bench as good as my x2 6400 on a new 790fx MB. On top of that most of the venders are saying they wont be supporting the new Intels coming out on the current chipsets. So when it comes to upgrades AMD is the only clear path atm. In a little while the new AM2+ chips will be out. Unless you plan on dumping over 700++ on an Intel now you might as well just wait and enjoy your Spider rig with a good X2.
December 12, 2007 1:40:48 AM

I say take the 5000BE and with the 100 dollars you'll save over the Q6600 setup buy yourself more ram or storage.

then wait for the quads to drop in price.
December 12, 2007 1:53:19 AM

jerseygamer said:
The Q6600 does not hit 3.0 99% of the time without a good aftermarket cooler and a voltage increase. Taking into account all of the stress you put on your MB doing it as well shortening its life and greatly increasing the chances of burning your system up its just not worth it in any way. If you are a gamer and dont feel like risking a new MB or CPU in possibly hours after first boot then stay away from the Q6600. If you dont game then there is little to no point in OCing the Q6600.

I dare to see a Q6600 system bench as good as my x2 6400 on a new 790fx MB. On top of that most of the venders are saying they wont be supporting the new Intels coming out on the current chipsets. So when it comes to upgrades AMD is the only clear path atm. In a little while the new AM2+ chips will be out. Unless you plan on dumping over 700++ on an Intel now you might as well just wait and enjoy your Spider rig with a good X2.



I like how you did that. Commenting on a processor you don't owns OCing performance. I happen to know for a FACT that most G0 Q6600s that I've seen and worked with will do 3.0 GHz without going over the VID of the processor. You don't stress the motherboard by moving to a 333 MHz FSB unless you have a really old one that doesn't even support 333 MHz FSB. You don't have a clue of what you speak. Most $20 aftermarket coolers will accomplish this. I know a guy who uses an Arctic Freezer Pro 7 and gets 3.6 GHz out of his Q6600.

Also where did the $700 figure come from? The processor is about $300 max, and if you wanted to go high end it'd be a motherboard for about $240. That's about $540 and considering everything else is the same. Video card, Memory, all that stuff would be the same. A good air cooler is maybe $60 max, so I'll give you $600.

As far as benchmarks, if I felt like shelling out the money for a decent graphics card I'd run some 3Dmark06 against you. However I don't care about a great graphics card as this is a F@H machine for me right now. Perhaps we can go toe to toe once the HD3870X2s come out and I get 2 of them in an X38. Other than that let's go for some synthetics! $20 I win almost everything but memory bandwidth and latency. I don't personally know the potential of a 6400+ but from every benchmark I've seen I have no reason to think it would beat a 3.6 GHz Q6600.. Unless of course you mean 3DMark06, in which case we all know that GPUs are where its at for high scores there.. and guess what? They cost the same for an Intel system as an AMD system!

Quote:
If you are a gamer and dont feel like risking a new MB or CPU in possibly hours after first boot then stay away from the Q6600. If you dont game then there is little to no point in OCing the Q6600.


Also that has to be the quote of the year. I'm going to burn up my motherboard possibly in hours after the first boot? So if I don't game, there is no reason to OC the Q6600, but if I game I will burn up my motherboard by OCing it. But if I game I'm better off with a 6400+.. I just can't even make sense of this, it's hilarious. For the record there are other things to run on a Q6600, like F@H SMP.
December 12, 2007 2:03:29 AM

Jerseygamer... Are you kidding me? Im trying really hard right now not to be a jerk, but I am running a Q6600 at 3.0ghz WITH less voltage than my VID o_O. Explain that one. :pt1cable: 
December 12, 2007 2:09:43 AM

jerseygamer said:
The Q6600 does not hit 3.0 99% of the time without a good aftermarket cooler and a voltage increase.


:lol:  That's like saying you will get a Phenom to 4.0Ghz. Both what you said and I said are not and never will be true...fanboy.
December 12, 2007 2:09:56 AM

I admire your AMD affiliation. :D 
December 12, 2007 2:18:45 AM





VID is 1.225v for 2.4Ghz, Im at 3.0Ghz at 1.192v
December 12, 2007 2:22:37 AM

Quote:

I dare to see a Q6600 system bench as good as my x2 6400 on a new 790fx MB


My E6300 will toast your 6400+ any day across a wide variety of workloads. :lol:  That's the second slowest C2D vs. the absolute fastest dual core CPU AMD has now. It goes from 1.86Ghz -> 3.5GHz on air. For every day use I run it at 3Ghz, with the voltage down to 1.225V down from 1.325V. Of course, for this to work we would need the same video card, memory etc.

Quote:
On top of that most of the venders are saying they wont be supporting the new Intels coming out on the current chipsets.


That's funny. I have three boards here that are all LGA775: An ASUS P5B, a Gigabyte GA-P35-DS3 and an Intel DG33FBC board. That's three different chipsets too:- P965, P35 and G33. They all support 45nm CPUs with a simple BIOS update. :ange: 

Remind me again why this guy should buy a dual core CPU now, only to buy a quad core CPU with comparable performance to the Q6600 later?
December 12, 2007 2:23:09 AM



7 Hours Prime Stable on that one. 1.2875 VID and it did 3.2 GHz with 1.264 vCore on my old motherboard.

And no, we aren't trying to brag, just trying to educate people who obviously don't own the chip.
December 12, 2007 2:27:08 AM

Quote:
That's funny. I have three boards here that are all LGA775: An ASUS P5B, a Gigabyte GA-P35-DS3 and an Intel DG33FBC board. That's three different chipsets too:- P965, P35 and G33. They all support 45nm CPUs with a simple BIOS update.


Good catch Mandrake, I didn't even see that one in there.

The ONLY thing he might be technically right on is the 1600 MHz FSB Penryn. That will (according to Intel) require an X48 because of the high FSB.

But hey, then he's wrong really.. because vendors like Gigabyte and Asus are already offering support for that on their X38s.
December 23, 2007 3:37:22 AM

On a video editing system with nearly no overclocking (business class machine) I can get an AMD Quadcore system for about $150 cheaper. I think at this point, thats a good buy. (This is not a gaming system)

What is the cheapest, good intel board I can get for a Q6600?
August 7, 2008 8:55:32 AM

I AMD phenom 9550x4 would be the best bang for bucks. Its with B3 stepping and L3 cache which is not present in the q6600. I'm having phenom 9550 x4 in a asus M2N-MXSE PLUS and a single msi 3870 hd and 4GB(2x2GB transcend 667 mhz). its fine and can be oc'd. AMD for life and ATI till death............
August 7, 2008 9:39:25 AM

hi. the AMd phenom is having internal FSB(for communication between the cores) of about 3.0 GHZ which is called as hyper transport technology while the intel processors use the motherboard to communicate which is about 1600 MHZ making the motherboards for intel costly. It is a wise choice to go for AMD. At extreme conditions, the temperature is well within 65 degree celcius for the stock cooler.....
a c 213 à CPUs
a c 103 V Motherboard
a b À AMD
a b å Intel
August 7, 2008 2:07:16 PM

THIS THREAD IS 8 MONTHS OLD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
August 7, 2008 2:38:06 PM

jimmysmitty said:
THIS THREAD IS 8 MONTHS OLD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!


I hate necromancers. Where's ma double barrel ? Come here vicky,vicky,vicky.........come here little vicky,vicky,vicky.....