Your question

RAID 5 setup-MB failed

Tags:
  • NAS / RAID
  • Motherboards
  • Storage
Last response: in Storage
September 22, 2008 11:02:18 PM

I have a computer I put together as a file server awhile back. It has an A8N-SLI Deluxe motherboard and 3 500GB HDs in a RAID 5 setup using the motherboards onboard RAID. I wanted to do RAID 5 for the redundancy, though it wasn't a hard drive that died on me--it was the motherboard. I replaced the motherboard with the exact same model. Is it possible to recreate the RAID set on the new motherboard without losing the information on the drives?

More about : raid setup failed

September 23, 2008 1:56:37 AM

Should be able to plug the drives in the same place and configure the BIOS the same way and the controller should detect the drives. If it dont you could be in trouble, its a well known fact that arrays on motherboard dont transplant well
September 23, 2008 2:15:52 AM

I have a RAID 0 setup and my motherboard went south. I just bought a motherboard with the same chipsets and it worked fine. The brand was even different. I'm not sure that would apply to all motherboards though.
September 26, 2008 7:21:30 PM

Search Tom's - they did an article a year or two ago where the tested porting MB raids between loads of different models. General thing was between the same chipset brand (Intel, nVidia etc) you could switch them around at will.

If they don't get picked up, don't panic - you can probably still get the data back with a little ingenuity....
!