Dell Inspiron 531s memory upgrade

Omen15

Distinguished
Dec 28, 2007
Hi first post here. I've read recent threads related to my problem but haven't found an answer to mine, yet.
I've been wanting to upgrade my desktop's memory, it has 1g (2x512) of wintec 667 (5300) in it now with 2 more slots open. My question is will I be able to buy 2g's (2x1) of g-skills 800 (6400) and fill the other 2 slots without a problem. I like computers but have never upgraded one myself. Thanks you for any help.

Yes, but maybe you want to take out the slower Wintec 667 and run the memory at DDR2-800 speeds.
The memory will default to the slowest speed of the chips (667).
Memory has slots. Open the clips of the memory socket at the end of the sockets, insert the new memory paying attention to the slot orientation, then push down on the memory until the clips clamp on the new module. Go in the bios and check that the memory is recognized.

Omen15

Distinguished
Dec 28, 2007
Thank you. I did buy the g skills memory today off Newegg (and it was only $46) thanks to your confirmations. I greatly appreciate it. I actually did find a lot of information about this after farther reading, I apologize for that. Thanks again.