Rate my gaming rig

Joehhh

Distinguished
Dec 2, 2007
EDIT: Yes, these prices ARE Australian dollars. So no, they are not overpriced. I am purchasing them in Australia as well so that might explain other factors.

I've came up with a price list of what i'm thinking of getting. Please give me your ideas and recommendations. I'm happy with the price total as it includes a mouse, keyboard, vista, headset.

I'm mainly concerned with Vista PREMIUM. Does premium have a big difference between itself and Basic or Ultimate?

So here it is:
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

CPU: Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 2.40 GHz FSB1066MHz 2x4MB L2 Cache - $340

Memory: 4GB DDR2 Corsair TWIN2X4096-6400C5 PC-6400 800MHz 5-5-5-15 (2x XMS2 2GB) - $250

Motherboard: ABIT IP35 P35 1333MHz FSB Dual DDR2-800 PCIE SATAII RAID GbE LAN 8-Ch Audio - $155

Monitor: [strike]22" LCD Benq FP222W-SB 5ms widescreen D-SUB DVI-D silver/black monitor - $320[/strike]
20" LCD Samsung 206BW 2ms widescreen TFT black monitor - $345

Video Card: XFX PCIE 8800GT 512MB DDR3 Dual DVI HDTV PV-T88P-YDF4 - $450
(Graphics card will change when the 8800GTS 512mb Edition comes out)

Hard disk: [strike]250GB Seagate ST3250620A IDE Ultra ATA 7200RPM 16MB cache - $100[/strike]
I was half asleep, didnt realise it was IDE so thanks aevm for spotting that out!
250GB Western Digital WD2500KS SATA2 16MB 7200RPM - $100

CD/DVDROM: Liteon DH-16D2P DVD-ROM 16x DVD 48x CDROM Black OEM - $25

CD/DVDRW: ASUS DRW-1814BLT DVD-RW SATA 18X Light Scribe BLACK Retail Pack - $55

Case: Antec Nine Hundred Black Tower Gaming Case NO PSU - $170

Power Supply: 750W Thermaltake ToughPower w/ Active PFC 14CM Ball Bearing Fan - $230

Keyboard: Logitech Gaming Keyboard USB G-15 Retail Pack Refresh - $110

Mouse: Razer DeathAdder Infrared High Precision Gaming Mouse - $80

Software: Microsoft Windows Vista HOME Premium 64-bit DVD DSP-OEM - $150

Headset: Zalman 6-Channel Surround Sound Headphones + microphone - $60

TOTAL: $2515

-----

Thanks in advanced

Looks fine,

1_If u want to get VISTA, then go with the premium version ,its almost the same as the ULTIMATE, here are the differences :
http://www.microsoft.com/windows/products/windowsvista/editions/choose.mspx

2_If u want to OC ,then get a RAM with 4-4-4-x or lower timings, but if u dont want to OC, then keep that RAM

3_There is not such thing as a 8800GTX 512 version and i wont think that NVIDIA will make such a card, dont worry , 8800GT 512 is a very good card

4_IF U WANT TO OC :
If that Motherboard is ABIT IP35 PRO, then keep it but if it isnt the PRO version then change it the PRO version (because it has better cooling and its important for OC'ng)

Manwe

Distinguished
May 15, 2005
the setup seems cool but the prices seems overpriced !!!
although your monitor doesn't seems to be the best in it's class .
go for samsung 226 BW or 2232 BW/GW , or LG L226WTQ they've got better contrast ration as well as lower response time but unfortunately all of these five LCDs using TN panels(as well as Benq FP222W-SB) which will result in 18 bit color . I happen to have L226WTQ with contrast ratio of 5000:1 .
it's a fair lcd i used to have 226 BW & 2232 BW all of them seems great.
BTW don't go for the benq display .

I suppose those $ are Australian dollars, right?

Another vote for Vista Premium. If you don't know what Ultimate has to add, then you don't need it IMO so why pay for it. For example Ultimate adds a lot of networking/remote admin features needed in businesses but not at home.
Compared to Basic, Premium has a better interface, among other things.

Don't buy IDE devices, get SATA instead. Change that hard disk to a WD7500AAKS, for example. Ditch the DVD-ROM; the burner can do all you need about DVDs.

Agreed about Samsung or LG, I'd prefer them to Benq. I have one of each and they're good. Get your monitor in a local store, so you can see how it feels and check for stuck/dead pixels. Pick something with a DVI connection, it's better than VGA. Samsung tends to cost more than LG but it usually includes the DVI cables.

Graphics card: you mean 8800GTS 512MB, right? Yeah, wait for it. I hear it will be out on Dec 11, almost there... Compared to the 8800GT it's faster, quieter, cooler. That is done by having a dual-slot cooler, so it takes more room. If you need PCI slots (for sound card, modem, tuner, etc.) I'd recommend the motherboard Gigabyte GA-P35-DS3R: 3 PCI slots, and dual-slot video cards don't block and of them.

I would spend less on keyboard and mouse and more on speakers or headphones. But that's a matter of personal taste, I guess. If you've done your research on those things and you're sure they're fine for your needs then buy them.

Ironsoap

Distinguished
Oct 13, 2007
after reading all the replies, and seeing that you've edited this list, I'd say it's great! Best of luck!

Joehhh

Distinguished
Dec 2, 2007
Thanks everyone for the replies. Yes those prices are Australian dollars and also purchased in Australia. I have decided to take advice on the monitor (also changed the HDD, didnt notice it was IDE). The other 22" monitors suggested are abit too much out of my budget margin. 20" Will do as I believe they have the same resolution?

aevm, yeah, i did mean GTS. Another late night thing. I posted this before I slept so I had no time to check over.

I'm sticking with 64BIT Vista Premium. Thanks for that table Maziar

The 20" monitor has 3000:1 contrast ratio and DVI-HDMI and HDCP.

I prefer to keep the mouse and headset as I think that's one of the best in the shop with a microphone. Unless you can find something better for me (www.itestate.com.au) please do. That keyboard will probably end up changing as I don't really need a great keyboard like the G15 and to save abit of money.

One last question. Will my motherboard do fine? I'm not planning on getting another graphics card to run in SLi. Noticed it had everything I needed and offered 8 channel audio. Can anyone recommend me something that doesn't cost too much and I don't plan on overclocking.

bertn

Distinguished
Dec 4, 2007
Hmm I'm would prefer the BenQ over the samsung and LG.
It sure is better quality then the LG (dunno about the samsung) and it is a lot cheaper to. I'm using a BenQ fp202w and i'm VERY happy about it (see the reviews on newegg...)