Hi, I am trying to learn a few things about disk clean up and defragment. I
did an analyssis and I still have 72% free space so windows 'said' that I
do not need to defrag at this time. However, I wanted to try the diskclean
up and it starts to scan and just freezes shortly afterwards. the bar
doesnot progress. so, I "X" it out. I tried to start it again and it wont
even come up on the screen. any ideas? hope you can help'

Thanks so very much for your help-! ! ! !

Malke

RustyM wrote:

> Hi, I am trying to learn a few things about disk clean up and
> defragment. I
> did an analyssis and I still have 72% free space so windows 'said'
> that I do not need to defrag at this time. However, I wanted to try
> the diskclean up and it starts to scan and just freezes shortly
> afterwards. the bar doesnot progress. so, I "X" it out. I tried to
> start it again and it wont even come up on the screen. any ideas? hope
> you can help'

It's always a good idea to run the defragmenter in Safe Mode. Repeatedly
tap the F8 key as the computer is starting up to get to the menu to
allow you to choose Safe Mode. As for Disk Cleanup freezes, this is a
known issue. You can fix it manually in the Registry, but MVP Kelly
Theriot has an automated fix which is easier and safer. Go here and
scroll down to "Why does Disk Cleanup freeze?".

Malke
--
MS-MVP Windows User/Shell
Elephant Boy Computers

It isn't the free space, it's the percentage of fragmented files and folders
on the volume that determines if defragmenting is recommended.

The Disk Cleanup Tool Stops Responding
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;823302

Disk Cleanup Tool Stops Responding While Compressing Old Files
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;812248

For an automated fix, look here:

Read instructions at the top
Scroll down to:
# 48 Right hand side
Disk Cleanup-Compress Old Files Freezes

--
Hope this helps. Let us know.

Wes
MS-MVP Windows Shell/User

In news:edwRrtLjFHA.2472@TK2MSFTNGP15.phx.gbl,
RustyM <RM@RMcom> hunted and pecked:
> Hi, I am trying to learn a few things about disk clean up and defragment.
> I did an analyssis and I still have 72% free space so windows 'said'
> that I do not need to defrag at this time. However, I wanted to try the
> diskclean up and it starts to scan and just freezes shortly afterwards.
> the bar doesnot progress. so, I "X" it out. I tried to start it again and
> it wont even come up on the screen. any ideas? hope you can help'
>

> Thanks so very much for your help-! ! ! !

Why safe mode?

"Malke" <notreally@invalid.com> wrote in message
> RustyM wrote:
>
>> Hi, I am trying to learn a few things about disk clean up and
>> defragment. I
>> did an analyssis and I still have 72% free space so windows 'said'
>> that I do not need to defrag at this time. However, I wanted to try
>> the diskclean up and it starts to scan and just freezes shortly
>> afterwards. the bar doesnot progress. so, I "X" it out. I tried to
>> start it again and it wont even come up on the screen. any ideas? hope
>> you can help'
>>

> It's always a good idea to run the defragmenter in Safe Mode. Repeatedly
> tap the F8 key as the computer is starting up to get to the menu to
> allow you to choose Safe Mode. As for Disk Cleanup freezes, this is a
> known issue. You can fix it manually in the Registry, but MVP Kelly
> Theriot has an automated fix which is easier and safer. Go here and
> scroll down to "Why does Disk Cleanup freeze?".
>
> http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/top10faqs.htm
>
> Malke
> --
> MS-MVP Windows User/Shell
> Elephant Boy Computers
> www.elephantboycomputers.com
> "Don't Panic"

Disk Cleanup will show a couple of dashes of progress and then pause for
quite a while. Let it alone and you may find that it is not frozen but just
working. The progress bar is by task and not by percentage of work done to
work remaining.

"RustyM" <RM@RMcom> wrote in message
> Hi, I am trying to learn a few things about disk clean up and defragment.
> did an analyssis and I still have 72% free space so windows 'said' that I
> do not need to defrag at this time. However, I wanted to try the diskclean
> up and it starts to scan and just freezes shortly afterwards. the bar
> doesnot progress. so, I "X" it out. I tried to start it again and it wont
> even come up on the screen. any ideas? hope you can help'
>

> Thanks so very much for your help-! ! ! !

If you'd ever had a "defrag" terminated by power cut - you'd know why!
Happened to me in W98, way back, took nearly 2 days to get the system back
(total corruption) since which, "safe mode" every time - till other (better
and MUCH faster) utilities came on stream -

DISKEEPER - set it and forget it - takes all the pain out of defrag, you
will NEVER be more than 4% fragged - and a full manual defrag is <4 mins
(minutes, that is).

"Colin Barnhorst" <colinbarharst@msn.com> wrote in message
> Why safe mode?
>
> "Malke" <notreally@invalid.com> wrote in message
>> RustyM wrote:
>>
>>> Hi, I am trying to learn a few things about disk clean up and
>>> defragment. I
>>> did an analyssis and I still have 72% free space so windows 'said'
>>> that I do not need to defrag at this time. However, I wanted to try
>>> the diskclean up and it starts to scan and just freezes shortly
>>> afterwards. the bar doesnot progress. so, I "X" it out. I tried to
>>> start it again and it wont even come up on the screen. any ideas? hope
>>> you can help'
>>>

>> It's always a good idea to run the defragmenter in Safe Mode. Repeatedly
>> tap the F8 key as the computer is starting up to get to the menu to
>> allow you to choose Safe Mode. As for Disk Cleanup freezes, this is a
>> known issue. You can fix it manually in the Registry, but MVP Kelly
>> Theriot has an automated fix which is easier and safer. Go here and
>> scroll down to "Why does Disk Cleanup freeze?".
>>
>> http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/top10faqs.htm
>>
>> Malke
>> --
>> MS-MVP Windows User/Shell
>> Elephant Boy Computers
>> www.elephantboycomputers.com
>> "Don't Panic"

"Colin Barnhorst" <colinbarharst@msn.com> wrote in message
> Why safe mode?

Sometimes a running program will access the hard drive while you're
defragging which makes the defrag program start over. If you run in safe
mode, very few programns are loaded.

Bearman