stolenhonor

Distinguished
Dec 10, 2007
I bought 2gb of DDR2800 ram sticks. But under pcwizard it says there running at 399mhz, shouldn't they be running at 800mhz?

Screenshot:
screencn5.png

Link: (Memory I bought)
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231098

The general idea is to only use the amount of voltage needed to run stably. People who overclock (run faster then the rated speed) often need to increase the voltage in order to make their components run at whatever speed the person set (instructed to Bios). But that's only because they're making the thing work harder than it's supposed to.

Less volts = less heat, which contributes to longer life.

stolenhonor

Distinguished
Dec 10, 2007
In my bios it says voltage. +0.2,+0.1, and it stops at +0.3v and its highlighted in red. Im not sure how to do it. On my ram box it says 1.8~2.0V. I dont get why my bios says +0.3 and etc.

godsizesnakeyes

Distinguished
Sep 27, 2007

If you select +0.3v it will add that to whatever the defualt voltage is and running at. Like if its running at 1.8v stock and you select +0.3v it will now be running 2.1v. It should say in the bios what the default ram voltage your mobo is running it at.

Correct. The default memory voltage is 1.8v.
Your memory should be set at 1.8-2.0, therefore +0 or 0.1 or +0.2.
You can test your memory and cpu for errors with Prime95.
Whatever voltage works for you without errors is best.

stolenhonor

Distinguished
Dec 10, 2007
Well I have a new chip with an unlocked multiplier. I will haft to experiment with this, trial and error I guess.

godsizesnakeyes

Distinguished
Sep 27, 2007

For specifically testing memory I would also recommend memtest86 v1.70. From what I have read memtest will be alot more accurate than using Prime95 or Orthos regarding memmory errors.

What one to run first I have no idea, I'm still learning to OC myself. I would recommend memtest asap with a new build or new ram to make sure it has no errors before you get started. What I have been doing is every time I change a setting I then run Orthos for 10 mins or so and if no errors i will keep going. When I get to where I am happy and I get everything stable thru an hour of Orthos then 2 passes thru memtest. If both those pass without errors then thats when I do a 12 hour Orthos test.

With memtest you will need to make a bootable floppy or a CD image if your dont have a floppy drive. Either way its worth it to get memtest.

godsizesnakeyes

Distinguished
Sep 27, 2007

Ya, if there is a flaw in an OC causing problems you will generally see errors in orthos or memtest. It's hard to say what you should be running your memory voltage at without know what mobo your sticks are in and if you plan to OC your cpu or ram. If your not OCing and your comp is running fine atm I dont think its nessesary to up the volts. The options in your bios to increase the voltage is for stabilizing an OC because when you make stuff go faster it needs more juice.

stolenhonor

Distinguished
Dec 10, 2007
I have a qustion about the video stress test in counterstrike, I get 59fps, why? My friend has a AMD Athlon X2 3800 with the same video card and gets a little over 100 fps. My Ram runs at a higher mhz than his and im all sata and he is not. As he is 939 also and im AM2

parabola

Distinguished
Jan 3, 2008

Quick question, what app did you use that created that screen shot? I am just discovering OC, and I need some utilities first. Thank you...