Sign in with
Your question

SolidWorks Render crashes 9 out of 10 times

Tags:
Last response: in Applications
January 27, 2013 5:40:14 AM

Hey Guys,

Im new to the forum but have been finding a lot of answers to my questions by searching this forum. So now I have a problem that I cant find an answer to. I recently built a new system for gaming and some cad on the side. I will list the specs to it below. Its fully stable at the overclocks I have it at. Ive run prime95 small fft for 24 hours as well as blend. The problem is, every time I try to render something through solidworks photoview 360 it crashes 9 times out of 10. Ive even tested keyshot to render, and that crashed as well 7 minutes into rendering. It seems as if my system only has a problem rendering things. Any ideas as to what it could be? Ill include a screenshot of a crash.

MSI z77a-gd55
3770k @ 4.8
Gtx 680
16 gb(2x8) G. Skill Ripjaws X-series 2133
120gb Intel ssd
1000w Raidmax psu

That should be all that matters.

" alt="" class="imgLz frmImg " />
" alt="" class="imgLz frmImg " />
February 13, 2013 8:37:47 PM

895324,1,1756421 said:
Hey Guys,

Im new to the forum but have been finding a lot of answers to my questions by searching this forum. So now I have a problem that I cant find an answer to. I recently built a new system for gaming and some cad on the side. I will list the specs to it below. Its fully stable at the overclocks I have it at. Ive run prime95 small fft for 24 hours as well as blend. The problem is, every time I try to render something through solidworks photoview 360 it crashes 9 times out of 10. Ive even tested keyshot to render, and that crashed as well 7 minutes into rendering. It seems as if my system only has a problem rendering things. Any ideas as to what it could be? Ill include a screenshot of a crash.

MSI z77a-gd55
3770k @ 4.8
Gtx 680
16 gb(2x8) G. Skill Ripjaws X-series 2133
120gb Intel ssd
1000w Raidmax psu

That should be all that matters.

ArtemOg,

I'm not an expert, and you might try the Solidworks Forum for a definitive answer.

Two thoughts to start:

1. I've heard of Solidworks rendering crashing on overclocked CPU's because rendering is CPU-based and they simply shut down because of CPU overheating. You might retry a rendering that failed previously and have a CPU monitor on top, watching temperature. If the temperature is the problem, a tactic might be to try assigning only 2-3 cores of the 3770K to rendering and see if it stays within the limits. Plan B. > If CPU temperature is on the fringes of marginal and you have a convenient overclocking utility, [make a note of your OC settings] and try resetting to factory settings or try only a lower voltage to cool it off a bit.

2. Last year, I tried a GTX 285 (1GB) in a Dell Precision T5400 [Xeon X5460 QC 3.16GHz, 12GB DDR2 667, RE4, Win 7 Ult] and it would not run Solidworks 2010 x64 viewports and crashed in every large-file (80MB+) rendering try in various Sketchup plugins. I changed to a Quadro FX4800 (1.5GB) using an optimized Solidworks driver specifically for 2010 x64 downloaded from their site and so far so good. The Geforce drivers are apparently optimized for frame rates rather than the precision/ completion and they don't allow each rendering pass to complete, such that there is some kind of additive compilation of errors. Some of these errors may accumulate when the anti-aliasing settings in the rendering program are very high. As an experiment, you might try running at 8X AA.

Hope this helps but, again, the Solidworks forum is sure to have a more confident answer. >

https://forum.solidworks.com/index.jspa [have cookies ON]

Good luck and let us know what you find out.

Cheers,

BambiBoom

m
l
!