Sign in with
Your question

PNY 16GB Attache USB 2.0 Flash Drive - Any Count?

Last response: in Storage
September 24, 2008 9:10:26 PM

I've found a really good deal on one of these drives so I've searched for reviews and I have found mixed ratings for this product. I've read on some sites that PNY drives aren't meant to be erased/rewritten on excessive times because the drive will die. On the other hand I've read reviews where people say the drive works just fine. I find it hard to believe that this drive can retail for so much money and supposedly just die after several uses like some people claim but ya never know.

I'm planning on using one of these drives to back up valuable data on and put away in a fireproof safe. Therefore, I will most likely be rewriting on it quite a bit. So does anyone have any experience with this product?

Even though I found a good deal on one, I would hate to invest money in something that will just fail after a couple of uses. Please, if you have any insight on helping me decide whether or not to purchase this item, reply as soon as possible. Thanks.
September 26, 2008 1:38:44 PM

Vortec,

I started with one of the original purple Lexar 128 MB (USB 1) thumbdrive which I got on sale years ago for $40 dollars and it worked for about two years until I went to the Franklin Institute and touched one of the lightning displays which said that it had 15 times more current than your average house current. It worked about twice since then but I backed up my data because I sensed something was wrong.

I think that some of the thumb drives are made a little more secure and rugged since then.

I haven't had any thumbdrives die since then and I've had two of my thumbdrives go through the wash and one was left in the heat of the car for about an hour.

If someone says that a product is poor, the questions to ask are "Why?".

It is also good advice to have a backup and to make regular and redundant backups in more than one form so you don't have to worry about this.
September 28, 2008 10:59:02 PM

chuckt said:
Vortec,

I started with one of the original purple Lexar 128 MB (USB 1) thumbdrive which I got on sale years ago for $40 dollars and it worked for about two years until I went to the Franklin Institute and touched one of the lightning displays which said that it had 15 times more current than your average house current. It worked about twice since then but I backed up my data because I sensed something was wrong.

I think that some of the thumb drives are made a little more secure and rugged since then.

I haven't had any thumbdrives die since then and I've had two of my thumbdrives go through the wash and one was left in the heat of the car for about an hour.

If someone says that a product is poor, the questions to ask are "Why?".

It is also good advice to have a backup and to make regular and redundant backups in more than one form so you don't have to worry about this.

Thanks for the advice, Chuckt.

I ended up not getting the flash drive right now anyway but I appreciate the information for future reference.

I currently back my files up on another hard drive every night and occasionally make back ups onto DVD+RW disks. However it takes quite a few disks to get the job done, that's basically why I was wanting to invest in a flash drive soon so I could minimize the use of disks and free up some room in the fireproof safe.
September 29, 2008 7:35:54 PM

Vortec,

I always wonder who writes those reviews and what computer experience they have. According to a lot of the reviews, there is something wrong with all of the products or the user is too spoiled because they have too much money so they reflect that on anyone who has something to sell.

I found some white papers are articles on how flash memory works:

http://www.kingston.com/tools/umg/default.asp

I found this good video on the manufacturing process. Since they bake the chips, I won't get overly worried about accidentally leaving my thumb drive in the hot car. And some of the information suggests that you can write 2.5 million pictures on a card or erase it once a day for 27 years.

http://www.kingston.com/products/pdf_files/FlashMemGuid...

http://www.kingston.com/company/videos/mfg/default.asp

Chuck
!