Should I send my 6000+ back?

met_quota

Distinguished
Nov 28, 2007
Week ago I bought a 6000+ from newegg, now I'm having second thought about it, it's fast but not as fast as I thought it would be after 3800+ x2. AMD is discountiniung 6000+ sometime soon in 2008. I requested RMA in plans of upgrading to 6850, but now thinking is it worth going for more expensive 6850 3Ghz (not OCing)? Can $130 (what I would get back for processor after restocking fees) + $60mobo = 190$ premium justify the performance increase? Probably 6850 can last longer then 6000+. Is it better to stay with AMD for a while and later upgrade to Intel? Have another day to decide whether 6000 is staying or going.

rgeist554

Distinguished
Oct 15, 2007
What are you using your PC for? Are you asking about the Q6850 or the E6850? If it's gaming - you would see some increase... I'm not sure whether or not it's worth the price difference to you though. Post some of your other system specs and I can help you out more.

Just as an example here. Let's say your 6000+ isn't bottlenecking your 7900GS. If you upgrade to a 6850 you may squeeze an extra 5-10 FPS out of your game, but it's entirely game dependent. Games that use your CPU more will obviously yield better performance, but stuff like Crysis (with CPU physics disabled) will give you almost no difference in performance.

sailer

Splendid
Basically, this question should have been asked before the purchase was made. Yes, the Intel 6950 will be faster, but between the restocking fees and the higher cost of the motherboard, it will get expensive fast. Your AMD 6000+ can be overclocked for better performance and it should even be able to run Crysis if you have a good enough video card to back it up. Unless you're running some cpu intensive tasks that demand the fastest cpu around, I'd stick with the 6000+ for now.

met_quota

Distinguished
Nov 28, 2007
It's actually E6850. I was planning on getting either 8800gt or 3870 to go along with that. Not really chasing framerates, I'm sure with those cards either one of those processors will do fine. I was thinking that with C2D loading times and windows responsivness might benefit. C2D also is "newer technology" more futureproof, 65nm, less heat, more cache. Should have gotten E6750 in the first place, it's only about $30 more expensive then 6000+, but now since I'm taking a hit with returns, shipping and restocking fees for both motherboard and cpu, 6850 looks like the only option worth returning 6000+ for. I love AMD but the whole hype around Intel made me rethink my decision.

met_quota

Distinguished
Nov 28, 2007
The thing is I got my AMD in hopes that it will work with my existing motherboard. At the time of purchase $160 vs. $400 for E6850 and Asus motherboard didn't seem option worth going for. But then my motherboard turned up to be dead indeed, and I had to get another motherboard anyway, I thought of returning 6000+ and getting C2D.

trinix

Distinguished
Oct 11, 2007
It's not worth it. You already have the 6000+, the upgrade you want cost you more then the performance increase. Better spend your money on a GTS or double 3850 or GTX.

You should have reviewed better before buying it. And now you have to review better. Don't check reviews on proc power. Check out what you want to do. Play games, what kind of games, how much impact does it have? I still don't know.

And you name a lot of things you seem to like about the new proc, but it's all just either not true or not worth it. AMD doesn't benefit from the cache as Intel does, so it's a mood point at best, the 65nm is the same as 90nm for AMD, intel is at 45 already. Heat, I'm not sure about that. Future proof. A CPU is not future proof, there is no such thing. If you buy it now, it's used. The Intel can indeed be used longer, but the amd isn't that expansive (okay you bought the more expansive version).

I would suggest not changing.

jnava121

Distinguished
Jul 11, 2007
Seems like you will pay 100 -200 dollars extra for a faster processor and get like 10 FPS increase in a game.... which can be accomplished by overclocking your graphics card a little and turning up the fan......

caamsa

Distinguished
Apr 25, 2006

Keep it! It is a great chip. Just get a better GPU and it should keep you happy for quite a while.

WR

Distinguished
Jul 18, 2006
Too late to change the CPU decision. You already have 6000+ and a new AM2 motherboard; restocking for both would be a hassle and further downtime. Had you stopped to view some benchmarks when finding out the old motherboard was the problem, sending back the lone 6000+ and getting Q6600/E6850 + P35 motherboard would have been the best core upgrade.

However, Windows start-up and responsiveness depend more heavily on the condition of your HD/RAM and OS installation. You can still get a more responsive system by upgrading the system HD to a 150GB Raptor, if you haven't, and by making sure you have enough RAM not to cause swapping under application usage.

How to find out how much RAM you need may vary a bit between Windows versions; I usually look at the peak "Commit Charge" in Task manager after running my most demanding load and then round up the required RAM to fit dual-channel configurations.

met_quota

Distinguished
Nov 28, 2007
Thanks guys, now I'll definetely keep it. I actually never really cared for intell much, and ignored their whole new Core 2 duo line. I was comparing 6000+ with Phenoms, but since the initial phenoms couldn't justify the hopes as well as their prices, I went for 6000+. And by future proof I meant that I can use it for 2 years without upgrading, 3800+ did a nice job, I wouldn't probably even upgraded it if my computer hadn't died.
As far as my gaming needs, most of my games run well on 3800+ and 1800XT, Half Life 2, BF2 and GTAs. However the only game i'm having problems with is Flight simulator X and it's mostly cpu dependent, already going from 3800 to 6000 showed some improvement. But hopefully new vid card will give additional framerates.

sailer

Splendid

I think that one sentence defines your problem and gives your answer. Never fall for hype, not just in computer processors, but in anything. Hype gives promises that are rarely fulfilled. Hype gets you to spend money on a product, and after you get it, you ask the question, "Now what?". Instead of listening to hype, take some time and find out what product performs best in the price range you have in mind of spending. Then you will be far more satisfied with what you buy.

Yes, there are a lot of AMD fans around, and a lot more Intel fans, simply because there are more Intel products out there. You need to learn to look beyond the fandom and to look at your real needs. If you want the fastest computer and don't care about the cost, then there are products that will satisfy your need, at least until next month when new, faster products come out. Better to stop and figure out what you really need and why you need it, and only then put down your money.

One last thing about hype and fans. There are a lot of people who will talk about a product as being the best thing since the discovery of fire who do not actually own that product. Its too easy for someone to write that you should buy "X" cpu or whatever while they themselves own something older, slower, etc. So don't allow other people to spend your money. After all, the money is yours, not theirs.

goodie

Distinguished
Feb 23, 2007
i wouldnt tell you what to do but i can tell you what i am going to do,
i have X2 4600+ (see sig) i debated just getting a X2 6000+ and bang it in my M2N-E, but decided against it,
bit concerned that you said you didnt notice much of a difference, just confirms i made the right choice!
i am getting Q6600 & undecided mobo yet (P35 or X38/X48)
i believe the E6750 is the best bang for buck because it overclocks higher than standard E6850 clock DEAD EASY
in the end the descision is yours!!

met_quota

Distinguished
Nov 28, 2007
Well I'm going to open my AM2 board today that came in yesterday from Newegg. I wasn't sure whether I should send it back or keep it. I'll probably hold of switching to Intel untill the better times and better processors. Initally I also wanted to stay with AMD to keep my old hardrive and Windows install. I had 4 OS installed total. 2 xps and 2 vistas 32 and 64. Everything should be intact as it was? Both the old and new boards are from Biostar, I think the chipsets are different. Or should I reinstall operating system?

speedbird

Distinguished
Apr 19, 2007
I only like to upgrade when my Hardware cannot cope with the demands I ask of it or it fails.

I agree with the hype issue, because it's best to upgrade when it's needed rather than 'It's the latest' way of thinking.

Can Not

Distinguished
Nov 11, 2007
There's not point in returning the X2 6000+, the E6850 is only 15% stronger.

Wait until 5.0Ghz 45nm C2D octocore or something.

met_quota

Distinguished
Nov 28, 2007
Just installed 6000+ and pretty happy with it. Seems like even Windows liked the "new" mobo, just exactly like good ol' times, didn't even ask for new drivers except fot Audigy card which I put in another slot. No biggie. Very fast also. Now I can finally say that I'm one happy AMD fan, don't know how the thought of betrayal even crossed my mind. I'm out to playing my games...now the money I saved on not returning anything about $200 or more with shipping I can invest in 8800gt, if I only can find a cheap one in stock anywhere...

j0j081

Distinguished
Dec 10, 2007
yeah if you are mainly using your pc for gaming and everday type tasks I don't think it matters what cpu you went with. both are prob too fast for what you'll be doing. things are gpu limited like usual.