Q9300 Running Hot

chuck_morris

Distinguished
Apr 10, 2008
Hi all,

I'm running a Q9300 on ASUS P5ND motherboard with stock heatsink & fan in Gigabyte GZ-X2 Case which has two 120mm fans.

Using Core Temp software my machine idles at 60c and has been up to 74c when playing games.

I've reseated the heatsink once already cleaning off the thermal pad and used some arctic silver 5.

This hasn't made any difference.

I think I am going to try a ASUS Triton 70

I cant seem to find any decent reviews on this item.

Can anyone recommend me a better one that is just as easy to install?

Also will changing the case fans make any difference?

Thanks in advance!

Demonic Goldfish

Distinguished
Mar 31, 2008
According to the author of RealTemp, the Tjmax of the 45nm processors is, in fact, 95C as oppsed to the 105C that Core Temp assumes. This means that, assuming RealTemp is correct (I use it and it gives pretty reasonable temps for an E8500), your processor is running 10C lower than what you're seeing there. But even 64C sounds very hot for stock.

grieve

Distinguished
Apr 19, 2004
Chuck, next time you remove the heatsink use a razor blade and check if your processor and Heatsink are in fact flat...

I lapped my processor because it was horribly concave with bad temps, it resolved my issues.

chuck_morris

Distinguished
Apr 10, 2008
Thanks for your input.

There are that many different temp monitoring programs i'm lost.

Yes, RealTemp shows a nice 10c lower. If that's correct.

I have just ordered an Arctic Cooling Freezer 7 Pro Heat Sink/fan.

Hopefully that will bring it down a little.

I will try the razor blade check also.

I will report my findings.

Thanks again!

chuck_morris

Distinguished
Apr 10, 2008

I updated the bios when I built the pc, which was around two weeks ago. I will check to see if there is a newer release.

chuck_morris

Distinguished
Apr 10, 2008

I have just checked the website and I have the latest BIOS. ASUS P5N-D

chuck_morris

Distinguished
Apr 10, 2008
I thought it could be that I had too much thermal compound on, so I reseated and took a pic.

I followed the instructions from the arctic silver website. Arctic Silver 5 Instructions

mail

Demonic Goldfish

Distinguished
Mar 31, 2008
I'm not very good with TIM, but I thought of another possible cause of heat: if you have the mobo on auto volts it could be overvolting the CPU. Mine consistently gives me processor almost 0.2V more than it needs at whichever speed I have it, if I let it automatically choose volts. Check your VID with CoreTemp or something and try setting it manually (Vdroop may mean that you'll have to set it a little higher than the VID in the BIOS for stability): with my P5B Deluxe, I can't even set my volts at my VID - lowest I can set it in BIOS is 1.1V, VID is 1.03V or something like that, but it's better than auto voltage of 1.26V...

chuck_morris

Distinguished
Apr 10, 2008

Yes, my voltage was set at auto 1.28v. Ive lowered it to 1.2v along with the new cpu cooler. Also I have disabled the Q-Fans in the ASUS utility and they run much faster and cool the machine better.

slush_poepie

Distinguished
Mar 31, 2008
I justed posted my a thread on my Q9300 and I did try some other programs to check temps...Why is mine on idle 17c and on load 29c when it is overclocked to 3.0ghz and everyone else I have seen is in the mid 60c...

I took the fan of and touched the CPU and it doesnt even feel hot when I touch it...My intel Core 2 6400 runs at about 55c to 65c under load and idle is 38c and when I touch that thing my finger feels like it is going to catch fire. Is my cpu just a little special?

chuck_morris

Distinguished
Apr 10, 2008

Do you live in an igloo? That doesn't seem right, what are you using to measure the temps.

slush_poepie

Distinguished
Mar 31, 2008
Well I was using a program I got with my gigabyte motherboard but then I was told to use realtemp...Didnt really trust realtemp because it told me core running at 120c...
So last thing I did was take a heat strip...I put it on the heatsink and it measured 25c...So I dont really trust software all that much but this is a heat strip that was actually on the thing so I dont know...

mgregory98

Distinguished
Apr 25, 2008
I am running a Q9300 on an Asus P5N-T Deluxe with a bargain OCZ Vanquisher heat sink. Right now I am testing for a few days at 2.9Ghz and my temps using CoreTemp are around 56c on idle and up to 63-64c under load. My Asus pcprobe software is saying 55c under load - not sure which one I should go by as I am a peecee newbie. The Intel specs on the q9300 say Thermal Spec of 71.4c. Thought I would give you my readouts for comparison.

When I first built, I noticed that SiSandra said my Vcore voltage was too high, so I disabled 'Auto' in the bios and selected an appropriate voltage from the Q9300 specs.. I can't remember temps before I ran sandra though. Check that for the hell of it.

donachoma

Distinguished
May 23, 2008
i had the same problem and changed the heat sink to a scythe orochi.my temp under a stress test over 10 hours showed 55-55-43-43.hope this helps.