SimCity 4 Performance Issues

Archived from groups: alt.games.simcity (More info?)

Hello,

I have an AMD Athlon 2GHz CPU with 1GB of DDR333 RAM and
a 256MB nVIDIA 5600 FX video card.

I notice when playing SimCity 4 w/ Rush Hour expansion that
when my city gets large enough, the game takes 100% of my CPU
and slows to a crawl. Sometimes it will take over 25 minutes
just to pass a single month in turbo speed.

After proceeding at a crawl forever.. it speeds up again and
blasts through one or two months and then returns to a crawl.

My city size is only about 450,000

Is this normal? Is there anything I can do to increase
the speed in which the months pass?

Thanks
- Don B

Don Brearley wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I have an AMD Athlon 2GHz CPU with 1GB of DDR333 RAM and
> a 256MB nVIDIA 5600 FX video card.
>
> I notice when playing SimCity 4 w/ Rush Hour expansion that
> when my city gets large enough, the game takes 100% of my CPU
> and slows to a crawl. Sometimes it will take over 25 minutes
> just to pass a single month in turbo speed.
>
> Is this normal? Is there anything I can do to increase
> the speed in which the months pass?

Make sure you have graphics set to software iirc, might be hardware but I
think you want it on software. Defrag etc. Get any new drivers. My specs are
lower than yours but it plays faster.

HTH
Will

kajar9

Distinguished
May 30, 2009
Well i dont have an problem with my game,
But my friend does,

My friend has a SUPER-HIGHEND laptop where is 4 gig of ram
512mb videocard and its GXT or something like that, it means ultra fast performance video card
and the game runs great until he starts doing missions on vehicles like cars
and then the game massivly slows down and starts to cut the game

But still the performance and CPU and GPU are pretty low, under 50 percent of usage

What could make this thing, VISTA?????< --- has caused lotta problems, also the gta san andreas lags for him,

I have an Desktop with 3 times less power and performance stats, in everything, but my game has no lag at all
Also my machine runs gta san andreas also pretty good, low stats no lag at all,
but for him it also lags in low perfomance

1.6ghz
256mb GDDR*
AMD athlon xp 1900 +