Questions about using HDMI connection

Last response: in Home Theatre
Share
May 20, 2005 8:28:53 AM

Hey guys,

I noticed that the back of my SA 8300HD box has an HDMI port, so I decided
to try using that port to connect to my Sharp 26". Seems to work really
well so far, there's a smoother transition on the TV itself when switching
video modes, plus I have one less set of bulky component and audio cables
coming out the back of the TV. So, my question is this: I understand that
HDMI was designed with copy protection in mind. Will this be a problem as
far as using the DVR to record shows? Like, will a movie recorded off HBOHD
suddenly disappear three days after being recorded? Is it known whether or
not the TV conglomerates have started to take advantage of HDMI's copy
protection?

Also, on a related note, doesn't the use of HDMI make the whole issue of the
FCC or government mandating that consumer equipment have built-in copy
protection moot, since they seem to be moving in a direction where everyone
will be using HDMI in the future? Need some education here. Thanks,

John
Anonymous
May 20, 2005 8:28:54 AM

On Fri, 20 May 2005 04:28:53 GMT, "John" <ijh.abtaerstpoasm@verizon.net> spewed
forth these words of wisdom:

>Hey guys,
>
>I noticed that the back of my SA 8300HD box has an HDMI port, so I decided
>to try using that port to connect to my Sharp 26". Seems to work really
>well so far, there's a smoother transition on the TV itself when switching
>video modes, plus I have one less set of bulky component and audio cables
>coming out the back of the TV. So, my question is this: I understand that
>HDMI was designed with copy protection in mind. Will this be a problem as
>far as using the DVR to record shows? Like, will a movie recorded off HBOHD
>suddenly disappear three days after being recorded? Is it known whether or
>not the TV conglomerates have started to take advantage of HDMI's copy
>protection?
>
>Also, on a related note, doesn't the use of HDMI make the whole issue of the
>FCC or government mandating that consumer equipment have built-in copy
>protection moot, since they seem to be moving in a direction where everyone
>will be using HDMI in the future? Need some education here. Thanks,
>
>John

That may be a problem on future DVRs, but not with your current model. The
device itself must support the "broadcast flag" as it is called. There's an
article in this month's PC World.

Galley
May 20, 2005 10:50:23 AM

"John" <ijh.abtaerstpoasm@verizon.net> wrote in message
> Hey guys,
>
> I noticed that the back of my SA 8300HD box has an HDMI port, so I decided
> to try using that port to connect to my Sharp 26". Seems to work really
> well so far, there's a smoother transition on the TV itself when switching
> video modes, plus I have one less set of bulky component and audio cables
> coming out the back of the TV. So, my question is this: I understand that
> HDMI was designed with copy protection in mind. Will this be a problem as
> far as using the DVR to record shows? Like, will a movie recorded off
> HBOHD suddenly disappear three days after being recorded? Is it known
> whether or not the TV conglomerates have started to take advantage of
> HDMI's copy protection?
>
> Also, on a related note, doesn't the use of HDMI make the whole issue of
> the FCC or government mandating that consumer equipment have built-in copy
> protection moot, since they seem to be moving in a direction where
> everyone will be using HDMI in the future? Need some education here.
> Thanks,
>
> John
Since the courts have struck down the requirement for putting hardware in
receiving devices to recognize the broadcast flag, HDCP copy protection is
probably on hold. If the flag is used and a device is set up to recognize
the flag, it can be a case of copy once, copy never, or copy as much as you
like depending on the flag setting. In any case, if you have a copy, it will
not disappear but you may not be able to make copies of the copy. The copy
never setting would require watching the presentation live.

What happens in the future will probably be decided by the courts and the
legislature since they can override the FCC. Those of us with component
devices don't see the situation as moot with the threat of downrezzing but
it looks like that won't happen. There just aren't large numbers of
affordable devices out there that can record HD from a component source.

The big fear of studios is that computers will be used to record and
distribute programming and computers don't seem to be moving in the HDMI
direction. HDTV cards record straight to the hard drive and right now are
not required to recognize the broadcast flag. That situation is far from
moot.

HDMI is just a connection type. HDCP is the copy protection scheme.

Pat
May 20, 2005 6:02:25 PM

On Fri, 20 May 2005 04:28:53 GMT, "John"
<ijh.abtaerstpoasm@verizon.net> wrote:

>Hey guys,
>
>I noticed that the back of my SA 8300HD box has an HDMI port, so I decided
>to try using that port to connect to my Sharp 26". Seems to work really
>well so far, there's a smoother transition on the TV itself when switching
>video modes, plus I have one less set of bulky component and audio cables
>coming out the back of the TV. So, my question is this: I understand that
>HDMI was designed with copy protection in mind. Will this be a problem as
>far as using the DVR to record shows? Like, will a movie recorded off HBOHD
>suddenly disappear three days after being recorded? Is it known whether or
>not the TV conglomerates have started to take advantage of HDMI's copy
>protection?
>
>Also, on a related note, doesn't the use of HDMI make the whole issue of the
>FCC or government mandating that consumer equipment have built-in copy
>protection moot, since they seem to be moving in a direction where everyone
>will be using HDMI in the future? Need some education here. Thanks,
>
>John

I had two problems using the HDMI from my SA8300HD box.

First, the TV had to be turned on first. If the box was turned on
first, there was no picture when I turned on my TV. (minor problem,
everyone in the family had to remember to turn on the TV first.)

Second, and more serious, The HDMI connection feeds back to the cable
box that my TV only had two speakers. This disabled the 5.1 sound
from the Box, even on the optical conection to my home theatre
receiver.

After about two weeks of figuring these two things out, I said the
heck with it and unplugged HDMI.
May 21, 2005 9:52:40 PM

Thanks for the input. Actually, I encountered my own problem with using the
HDMI connection - when the TV was switching from a program in 1080i to
another show in 720p, the screen went dead. Turning the set off and on
again did nothing, so I had to press the tiny little "System Reset" button
on the back of the panel before things went back to normal. Looks like I'll
be going back to component cables for the time being.

"Charlie9" <j@b.com> wrote in message
> I had two problems using the HDMI from my SA8300HD box.
>
> First, the TV had to be turned on first. If the box was turned on
> first, there was no picture when I turned on my TV. (minor problem,
> everyone in the family had to remember to turn on the TV first.)
>
> Second, and more serious, The HDMI connection feeds back to the cable
> box that my TV only had two speakers. This disabled the 5.1 sound
> from the Box, even on the optical conection to my home theatre
> receiver.
>
> After about two weeks of figuring these two things out, I said the
> heck with it and unplugged HDMI.
Anonymous
May 31, 2005 7:46:50 AM

> Thanks for the input. Actually, I encountered my own
problem with using the
> HDMI connection - when the TV was switching from a program
in 1080i to
> another show in 720p, the screen went dead. Turning the
set off and on
> again did nothing, so I had to press the tiny little
"System Reset" button
> on the back of the panel before things went back to
normal. Looks like I'll
> be going back to component cables for the time being.
>
> "Charlie9" <j@b.com> wrote in message
> > I had two problems using the HDMI from my SA8300HD box.
> >
> > First, the TV had to be turned on first. If the box was
turned on
> > first, there was no picture when I turned on my TV.
(minor problem,
> > everyone in the family had to remember to turn on the TV
first.)

> > Second, and more serious, The HDMI connection feeds
back to the cable
> > box that my TV only had two speakers. This disabled the
5.1 sound
> > from the Box, even on the optical conection to my home
theatre
> > receiver.
> >
> > After about two weeks of figuring these two things out,
I said the
> > heck with it and unplugged HDMI.

I believe that HDMI also disallows the use of closed
captioning, even if your HDtv has it, no? That makes it a
non-starter for me! ...tonyC
!