Can't "Switch User" anymore?

July 19, 2005 10:05:56 PM

Using Windows XP. For some reason, if I use "Switch User" to exit my
desktop, Windows XP will not allow another user to open their desktop unless
they reboot. If I use "Log-Off" to exit my desktop, then another user can
access their desktop. This just started happening after a year with this
machine.

How can I restore the "Switch User" exit option to functionality? It's a
pain for my wife or I to reboot or log-off everytime one of us wants to use
the computer.

Thanks,

George

More about : switch user anymore

July 21, 2005 12:32:32 AM

Go to the help and support section and search for "switch user", namely in
the "fast user switching area"

Basically, go to user accounts and open the "Change how users log on or off"
to select fast user switching. Hopefully this will do it. There is a note
that fast user switching is not available for Domains.

Clark

"gglines" <gspam1@cox.net> wrote in message
> Using Windows XP. For some reason, if I use "Switch User" to exit my
> desktop, Windows XP will not allow another user to open their desktop
> unless they reboot. If I use "Log-Off" to exit my desktop, then another
> user can access their desktop. This just started happening after a year
> with this machine.
>
> How can I restore the "Switch User" exit option to functionality? It's a
> pain for my wife or I to reboot or log-off everytime one of us wants to
> use the computer.
>
> Thanks,
>
> George

Anonymous
July 21, 2005 3:43:40 PM

Thanks Clark. The fast user switching is enabled, so I'm not sure what the
problem is.

"Clark" <who@whoknows.com> wrote in message
> Go to the help and support section and search for "switch user", namely in
> the "fast user switching area"
>
> Basically, go to user accounts and open the "Change how users log on or
> off" to select fast user switching. Hopefully this will do it. There is
> a note that fast user switching is not available for Domains.
>
> Clark
>
> "gglines" <gspam1@cox.net> wrote in message
>> Using Windows XP. For some reason, if I use "Switch User" to exit my
>> desktop, Windows XP will not allow another user to open their desktop
>> unless they reboot. If I use "Log-Off" to exit my desktop, then another
>> user can access their desktop. This just started happening after a year
>> with this machine.
>>
>> How can I restore the "Switch User" exit option to functionality? It's a
>> pain for my wife or I to reboot or log-off everytime one of us wants to
>> use the computer.
>>
>> Thanks,
>>
>> George

Related resources
July 21, 2005 11:10:22 PM

Are you using any Cisco VPN programs, if so check article 829715.

If you have shared video memory, check this article 331841

If you have any contact with a domain situation, check this 280758

Any chance one of your "users" is actually the administration account?

Since the network connections and some other things stay active if you
switch users, is there anything that might be running the other user cannot
access?

> Thanks Clark. The fast user switching is enabled, so I'm not sure what
> the problem is.
>

> "Clark" <who@whoknows.com> wrote in message
>> Go to the help and support section and search for "switch user", namely
>> in the "fast user switching area"
>>
>> Basically, go to user accounts and open the "Change how users log on or
>> off" to select fast user switching. Hopefully this will do it. There is
>> a note that fast user switching is not available for Domains.
>>
>> Clark
>>
>> "gglines" <gspam1@cox.net> wrote in message
>>> Using Windows XP. For some reason, if I use "Switch User" to exit my
>>> desktop, Windows XP will not allow another user to open their desktop
>>> unless they reboot. If I use "Log-Off" to exit my desktop, then another
>>> user can access their desktop. This just started happening after a year
>>> with this machine.
>>>
>>> How can I restore the "Switch User" exit option to functionality? It's
>>> a pain for my wife or I to reboot or log-off everytime one of us wants
>>> to use the computer.
>>>
>>> Thanks,
>>>
>>> George

Anonymous
July 24, 2005 5:17:10 PM

Yes, two of the "users" are administration accounts. Me and the
administration account the HP automatically sets up. This is a home
computer, so I'm not sure if I would run into a domain situation.
Everything worked fine up until a few weeks ago. The only change I've made
has been a patch so my IR keyboard wouldn't lock up, and IIRC it worked fine
for two months even after that.

> Are you using any Cisco VPN programs, if so check article 829715.
>
> If you have shared video memory, check this article 331841
>
> If you have any contact with a domain situation, check this 280758
>
> Any chance one of your "users" is actually the administration account?
>
> Since the network connections and some other things stay active if you
> switch users, is there anything that might be running the other user
> cannot access?
>
> Clark
>

> "gglines" <gspam1@cox.net> wrote in message
>> Thanks Clark. The fast user switching is enabled, so I'm not sure what
>> the problem is.
>>

>> "Clark" <who@whoknows.com> wrote in message
>>> Go to the help and support section and search for "switch user", namely
>>> in the "fast user switching area"
>>>
>>> Basically, go to user accounts and open the "Change how users log on or
>>> off" to select fast user switching. Hopefully this will do it. There
>>> is a note that fast user switching is not available for Domains.
>>>
>>> Clark
>>>
>>> "gglines" <gspam1@cox.net> wrote in message

January 30, 2010 2:53:06 PM

I am expirencing the exact same issue! Any help???
!