About to build a computer, dont want to mess up

alzarius

Distinguished
Nov 30, 2007
I am about to do this for the first time in 5 years so I wanted to make sure on a few things.

1. Should I install the CPU first before attaching the mobo to the deck?

2. Installing the mobo. I have the screws that go through the mobo to the case. The last time I had one, the screws were different. I do know its bad to have the mobo touching the case. If I screw this in like this, I would think that the mobo would hit the case. Am I missing something?

<--- noob, feel free to take cheap shots as long as you dont mind helping too!!!

nightscope

Distinguished
Jan 20, 2007
It doesn't really matter if you want to install the CPU on the motherboard after or before putting it in the case, but I do it before just because I like doing that...I always install the CPU and fan/heatsink on the motherboard before I put it in the case so I can make sure the push pins came out of the other side.

Eh...can you provide pictures of those screws?

alzarius

Distinguished
Nov 30, 2007
They are the bronze ones. The bottom is the screw part (threads) and it gets bigger at the other end. One can be screwed into the back of the other one. They came with the case. I looked but couldnt find a pic, but I will keep looking

The bronze screws are standoffs. Screw them in lightly into the case everywhere that there is a matching hole in your mobo. No more, and no less. For an ATX mobo there are around nine. Then put the mobo in place and screw the silver screws through the mobo holes into the brass standoffs. Make them snug, but not tight. If you overtighten, it makes it harder to remove things later. Make certain that you are using the proper screws. If you use the wrong ones, and they are much bigger than the holes, you can cause a short. For this job, if you have fat fingers, I find it incredibly useful to put them in with a #2 phillips head screwdriver with a magnetic tip. Just be careful.

I now mount the cpu and heat sink outside the case. You need to look at the back of the mobo to be certain that the push pins are all the way through. I also install the front panel headers outside the case so I can see what I am doing.

croc

Distinguished
BANNED
Sep 14, 2005

Let me guess.... They are brass, hex-shaped and about 1 cm long? Good guess? If so, then those are the standoffs for your MB. You should also have a bag of other screws, that will go into the standoffs, and maybe also some fibre washers. You'll need nine of the standoffs screwed into your case in positions that match your MB's mount holes. If in doubt, place your MB in place and use a marker to mark the proper holes....

Then as has already been suggested, fit your cpu, and your HSF unit, make sure that the pins are all the way in. Then take the screws and mount the MB.

Most HSF units come with pre-applied TIM, BTW.... If you choose not to use the factory applied TIM, make sure that you remove it before mounting the HSF.

Hope this helps a bit...

alzarius

Distinguished
Nov 30, 2007
Standoffs, that is what they are. (thanks)

I did not receive any screws or fiber washers. These at office depot type stores or do I have to order online?

croc

Distinguished
BANNED
Sep 14, 2005
Maybe they came with your MB??? I've never bought a case that didn't have more than enough hardware to do the job... (but then again, I don't buy a new case very often, and tend to get good ones)

I've got a whole compartment box brim-full of extra bits...

The screws that go into the standoffs should have come with your case, along with instructions and other parts to mount drives. Look again for a small bag of parts. Sometimes thay are in a compartment or taped to the case What case do you have?

alzarius

Distinguished
Nov 30, 2007
It looks like I can just use the standoffs. I looked up a few guides and called a couple stores, and I can just screw them in

PFZ1

Distinguished
Aug 29, 2007
Well i agree with the ppl here your case should have come with a plastic bag containing normally 6-10 standoffs(I like to say M/B spacers) but thats just me, 6-10 fibre washers 6-10 screws that fit into the standoffs 2-4 screws to secure your pcu/gpu cards and if your lucky somemore to secure your sides of the cases if needed?? mmm they are normally packaged with the back faicour plate what you said you got OPS!!!

alzarius

Distinguished
Nov 30, 2007
Thats what I thought, there should be screws that screw from the top side, through the M/B, and then into the standoffs. I have looked for these on newegg and other sites but no luck.

cnumartyr

Distinguished
Nov 3, 2007

The screws are up and down the 5 1/2" bay. They line both sides. The top ones are for the motherboard.

The larger ones will secure expansion cards if you remove the tool-less clips.

alzarius

Distinguished
Nov 30, 2007

Funny how, once this is typed out, they jump up and down saying "IM HERE NOOB"

Thanks man

alzarius

Distinguished
Nov 30, 2007

Thanks

So slowing down and reading would be a useful thing to do before running off and asking everyone whats wrong!

:eek: