Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Would the 8800GTS 640MB be better in....

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
Share
December 11, 2007 1:37:19 AM

The 8800GT is really whooping right now. But in theory, wouldn't the 8800GTS be better for "future-proofing" with a higher memory density and a larger bus? Seems the 256 is about all the games are pulling, if I'm correct from what I've seen. Though the 8800GTS may lack a little pure speed, wouldnt it be better in the future?

More about : 8800gts 640mb

December 11, 2007 1:50:01 AM

No.

What matters the most is the number of stream processors.

The 640MB is stuck with 96, while the GT has 112; this is the main reason for the performance.

Even though the 8800GTS 640 has more memory than the GT, and hihger memory bus, it doesn't translate into performance. The higher memory will give a performance boost on highest resolutions and better AA and AF performance against the 8800GTS 320MB. But since the 8800GT has 16 more stream processors it will beat the 640MB today and tomorrow
December 11, 2007 1:52:07 AM

1) the bus on the 8800 series is likely not going to be a bottleneck and is thus irrelevant when discussing future proofing
2) There is a new 8800 coming out that has the same 512mb memory cache, but on a g92 die, so yeah, it will be faster than the GT.

basically, just wait either a) a week or two for the 8800GTS 512, b) wait a month or so for the 8800GTS 1024, or c) wait a few months for the impending 8900/9x00/g98/whatever they are gunna call it.

but the 640 is a few scant days away from being obsolete.
Related resources
December 11, 2007 2:02:17 AM

Also note that the EVGA 8800GTS SSC is a G80 still but with the same amount of stream processors than the 8800GT, which gives it the upper hand in most tests by a little bit but its more expensive.

The upcoming 8800GTS 512 has 128 stream processors and it should be slightly better than the GTX
December 11, 2007 2:37:26 AM

Pollux said:
Also note that the EVGA 8800GTS SSC is a G80 still but with the same amount of stream processors than the 8800GT, which gives it the upper hand in most tests by a little bit but its more expensive.

The upcoming 8800GTS 512 has 128 stream processors and it should be slightly better than the GTX


Yea the SSC is a good card, I will either be receiving that or the 3870 for x-mas. I sent my dad both links and told him if the 3870 wasnt in stock to just got with the GTS SSC...so I guess we all know where that is leading...lol, the dual slot cooler is worth it to me even if the price is higher...plus it isnt my money, but in all honesty it is only ~5% faster on average than an 8800GT (obviously depending on what you look at and what res, but since I run 1680x1050 and enjoy AA and AF it will work better for me), but I plan on stepping up to the 8800GTS g92 rev. within a month or 2 if I do in fact get that one for x-mas. Damn college is taking all my money for computer parts lol

Best,

3Ball
December 11, 2007 3:29:55 AM

Nice to hear, but if I was you I'd use the step up program to upgrade to the new ones coming in February hopefully :) , and if maybe I had 100 to 200 dollars to spare by that time =)
December 11, 2007 3:59:56 AM

Pollux said:
Nice to hear, but if I was you I'd use the step up program to upgrade to the new ones coming in February hopefully :) , and if maybe I had 100 to 200 dollars to spare by that time =)


Yea I may just wait for those, but availability of them always begs to question of my time to upgrade will run out before I get the chance 2.

Best,

3Ball
January 4, 2008 11:59:35 PM

Hmmm, so steam processors out-rank memory bus?
January 5, 2008 12:14:10 AM

dashbarron said:
The 8800GT is really whooping right now. But in theory, wouldn't the 8800GTS be better for "future-proofing" with a higher memory density and a larger bus? Seems the 256 is about all the games are pulling, if I'm correct from what I've seen. Though the 8800GTS may lack a little pure speed, wouldnt it be better in the future?


Depends on if you already own a 640 gts. I can overclock my particular GTS to 675/1620/2106.... at this speed its even to or beats out a GT at 730 core and 2000 mem.... mainly because of the gimped memory and overall limited overclocking potential of all the new 256bit g92s. But this overclock speed is rare for not needing a voltmod on a GTS, so don't count on it.... then again a 730 core clock on a GT is rare too.
January 5, 2008 9:24:32 AM

I don't think so.
January 6, 2008 12:42:33 AM

The 8800GTS SSC seems to be the best of both cores. You get 112 SP's and 320bit mem data path. It'd be amazing to see the G80 moved to 65nm. I have a feeling that the memory path might have complicated the die shrink though.

I saw a guy selling two SSC's for $225. I missed out :( 

I say it's the most under-appreciated card out at the moment.
January 6, 2008 7:24:58 AM

I800C0LLECT said:
It'd be amazing to see the G80 moved to 65nm.


It did. What do you think G92 is?
January 8, 2008 2:36:01 AM

Lol. I just assumed with 320-bit it would hold out better than the 256's
January 8, 2008 5:03:57 AM

Memory isn't everything, always remember.
January 8, 2008 6:14:22 AM

I800C0LLECT said:
The 8800GTS SSC seems to be the best of both cores. You get 112 SP's and 320bit mem data path. It'd be amazing to see the G80 moved to 65nm. I have a feeling that the memory path might have complicated the die shrink though.

I saw a guy selling two SSC's for $225. I missed out :( 

I say it's the most under-appreciated card out at the moment.


I personally love mine, I have the fan running @ 76% on the clocks in my sig, it isnt to loud and my temps are ~55 degrees C Idle, and ~75 degrees C on load. My 3Dmark06 score is ~11,600! :D 

Best,

3Ball
January 8, 2008 6:29:42 AM

I800C0LLECT said:


I saw a guy selling two SSC's for $225. I missed out :( 



Can you say scammer?

It's just a geek who realizes that some people think they would go for that cheap, and decided to make some bank.
January 10, 2008 3:42:41 AM

nukchebi0 said:
Memory isn't everything, always remember.



Not the memory, the bandwidth...
January 10, 2008 5:05:33 AM

you can see on the link i provided, just incase you cant see it

its 356fsbx9 using a Q6600 G0 in a max formula "standard"

my card manufacturer is ASUS
January 10, 2008 5:15:23 AM

dashbarron said:
Not the memory, the bandwidth...


Bandwidth affects the memory.
January 15, 2008 8:06:44 PM

Pollux said:
No.

What matters the most is the number of stream processors.

The 640MB is stuck with 96, while the GT has 112; this is the main reason for the performance.

Even though the 8800GTS 640 has more memory than the GT, and hihger memory bus, it doesn't translate into performance. The higher memory will give a performance boost on highest resolutions and better AA and AF performance against the 8800GTS 320MB. But since the 8800GT has 16 more stream processors it will beat the 640MB today and tomorrow


XFX GeForce 8800GTS 600M 640MB XT GDDR3, PCI-Express, 2xDVI/HDTV/HDCP, 112-SP

This is my card, if I'm not mistaken the 112-SP means it has 112 Stream processors, right?

So to get back to the original question, now when they have the same amount of stream processors. Is it more future proof with the GTS or is it the same?
January 15, 2008 10:02:22 PM

krillz said:
XFX GeForce 8800GTS 600M 640MB XT GDDR3, PCI-Express, 2xDVI/HDTV/HDCP, 112-SP

This is my card, if I'm not mistaken the 112-SP means it has 122 Stream processors, right?

So to get back to the original question, now when they have the same amount of stream processors. Is it more future proof with the GTS or is it the same?


My EVGA 8800GTS SSC Edition also has 112sp like yours, and yes that is what it means, but I think you mean to say 112 not 122.

Best,

3Ball
January 15, 2008 10:27:20 PM

3Ball said:
My EVGA 8800GTS SSC Edition also has 112sp like yours, and yes that is what it means, but I think you mean to say 112 not 122.

Best,

3Ball


Yes of course I meant 112, thanks for the heads up mate.
January 28, 2008 4:34:25 AM

nukchebi0 said:
It did. What do you think G92 is?


Smart ass much?

It seems you're the only person I have to spell it out for...

It would be cool if the G92 benefited from the same memory architecture as the G80.

Feel better?
!