Sign in with
Your question

Plz help me. Problems building computer!

Last response: in CPUs
December 12, 2007 1:58:37 AM

Ok well here is my problem..
i bought parts to build my new computer

i have a bfg 650 psu
an Bfg 8800 gts oc
2 gigs ram
intel core 2 duo processor
Western Digital 250 gb sata drive
xfx nforce 680i lt sli motherboard

I don't know exactly if i hooked everything up correctly. and i think that may be the problem but im not sure..when i turn the computer on the cd rom just hangs with the light on. I'm kinda newer with building and im wondering is it possible to boot from the sata if i have never used it? i put everything together right as far as i know and i have the same problem, just a blank screen when i turn it on...any ideas?
December 12, 2007 2:00:23 AM

Even if the CD won't boot the motherboard should still POST and show you something.

Re-check your wiring, it's easy to forget to plug something in or give something power. Is your motherboard making a beep sound when you cut the machine on or does it even have a speaker hooked up to the hookup?
December 12, 2007 2:03:18 AM

no speaker hooked up i jus dont understand nothing will come up at all
Related resources
December 12, 2007 2:05:04 AM

i went through it over and over again i guess im jus not very good at hooking the systems up.i got the 2 gigs ram in the slots 1 sata drive connected..i mean i just built it, is there anyone who can help me set it up?
December 12, 2007 2:08:25 AM

All the LEDs on the motherboard come on and fans spin up?
December 12, 2007 2:09:03 AM

all the fans come on and the cd-rom light stays lit up and the cd drive wont open. any ideas?
December 12, 2007 2:09:54 AM

all LED r lit as well
December 12, 2007 2:13:02 AM

ive already sent back one motherboard because i thought it was bad and its doing the same thing this ones doing..but it could just be an error by me.
December 12, 2007 2:13:24 AM

kitrik said:
all LED r lit as well

Take the drive out of the equation and unplug it.

You should still get SOMETHING on the screen by turning on the computer. A POST screen something, some kind of BIOS image, anything.

Keep removing stuff til you get one, and if you get down to just the RAM, motherboard, CPU, and Video card... try one stick of RAM at a time.
December 12, 2007 2:13:33 AM

will it POST without any drives or anyhting connected?
December 12, 2007 2:14:10 AM

roger ill be right back in 1 second
December 12, 2007 2:20:46 AM

wow...well i did all that and still nothing..i got down to that and used 1 stick of ram and still nothing at all....the fans immediately kick on and shorty after that the graphics card fan kicks on..
December 12, 2007 2:25:36 AM

kitrik said:
wow...well i did all that and still nothing..i got down to that and used 1 stick of ram and still nothing at all....the fans immediately kick on and shorty after that the graphics card fan kicks on..

Something is definately wrong. If you go over it again and make sure everything is hooked up right, and you know you remembered to:

Plug CPU Power in.
Plug Motherboard cord in.
Plug Video card in.
Plug monitor in.

Then don't know what to tell you. Hard to see what exactly is wrong if you don't have other parts you can drop in... What are the odds the motherboard has a manual that tells you diagnostic codes?
December 12, 2007 2:25:56 AM

just nothing is kicking over at all i checked the graphics card in another computer and it was fine.
December 12, 2007 2:27:50 AM

kitrik said:
just nothing is kicking over at all i checked the graphics card in another computer and it was fine.

Can you check the RAM/Processor in another computer?
December 12, 2007 2:28:40 AM

everything power wise is hooked up fine. this is the 2nd motherboard i have had and nothing...again.I jus cant believe it. the graphics card is properly seated and everyhting else is right....could it be the CPU?
December 12, 2007 2:29:45 AM

i dont know what other motherboard i can check this processor in...the ram niether the only other comp i have is a stock dell pos..
December 12, 2007 2:29:46 AM

kitrik said:
everything power wise is hooked up fine. this is the 2nd motherboard i have had and nothing...again.I jus cant believe it. the graphics card is properly seated and everyhting else is right....could it be the CPU?

If it's the second motherboard it's possible it's the CPU or memory.
December 12, 2007 2:30:28 AM

jeez i hate this guessing game. i cant believe im having this much trouble
December 12, 2007 2:31:04 AM

have u had problems like this before when u have built a computer?
December 12, 2007 2:31:52 AM

do u think i could drop this processor in my dell 8300 and see if it works?
December 12, 2007 2:33:08 AM

kitrik said:
have u had problems like this before when u have built a computer?

No but I know people who have.

It's a pain in the butt I know. I've had incredible luck when building computers on getting good parts.. knock on wood.

I don't know about dropping it in the Dell... is it supposed to be compatible?
a b à CPUs
December 12, 2007 2:40:44 AM

What case do you have? Is the motherboard in the case? All proper standoffs installed so nothing is shorting on the case?
What instructions are you following? Mobo instructions for connecting everything? Your sure all required and correct power connectors are connected? Is there a power connector for that video card? Is CPU heatsink attached?
What memory do you have? Is is on the mobo's list of compatible memory?
December 12, 2007 2:44:25 AM

yes rocky i have a centurion 5 case standoffs are installed they are the metal plugs, and everything is screwed down. vid card power is on it and cpu heatsink is definitely attached.
December 12, 2007 2:47:18 AM

i have the power hooked up right and everything this is the second motherboard and NO POST
December 12, 2007 2:51:48 AM

Post up with your part and model numbers. We can see if you have some sort of conflict.

Make sure the Power Supply is set to 115V and not 220V(this will be a switch on the back of the PS by where you plug it in). Verify you have the CPU power plugged (4 Pin) in and both of the Power Supply connectors for the mother board (there should be a 4 pin and something like 20pin that you have to match up together) Make sure your video card also doesn't have a power connector you need to be plugging in (6 pin). Try reseating the processor. If the video card came with a VGA adapter try setting your monitor up with VGA. If it powers up and doesnt beep like crazy you made it past the first part. Also try putting your RAM in different slots. Also try plugging the RAM in Slot '0 and 1' then '0 and 2' (sometimes the way a motherboard sees the pairs if different).

But like before you should at least get somesort of POST before anything.

Good luck and let us know.
December 12, 2007 2:57:51 AM

kitrik said:
i have the power hooked up right and everything this is the second motherboard and NO POST

If you are not getting any video and you checked the power (power plug is plugged into the back of the video card)...so did you unplug the CD and the hard drive?

Did you try to reset the bios.....?

Do you hear any beeps......?

I imagine the video card has two DVI ports did you try both of them?

Yea make sure both power plugs are plugged into the mother board....that could be it..............
December 12, 2007 3:01:17 AM

i tried the ram, i reseated the processor again.....my cpu power i plugged in is an 8pin..is that right? yeah all that is in. i made sure everything is hooked up...i guess i got it on the right voltage setting for the back because when i flipped it back the other way and hit power it came on for a split second and stopped...i only have dual dvi outputs...so i used the converter and plugged my monitor in. part and model numbers?
December 12, 2007 3:03:24 AM

how do u reset the bios? if its with the jumpers then yeah i moved the jumper over and reset it and then movedit back thatshould have reset the bios right? no beeps cuz i dont have speaker hooked up and tried both dvi's
a b à CPUs
December 12, 2007 3:05:49 AM

Are you sure the video card works? I had a new BFG card once that simply did not work and left the screen black. Do you have a card that you know works that you can use?
It appears you say you are NOT getting any beeps. Does the MB had a small speaker to beep or are speakers connected?
Sorry if I am asking basic questions but at this point need to trouble shoot everything.
December 12, 2007 3:05:58 AM

Right, Part Numbers. What models did you order? AMD or Intel? Which Processor? Which RAM, which MotherBoard? There should only be 1-4 pin power connector for the processor unless you have multiple processors.
December 12, 2007 3:06:01 AM

see i got the CPU and the motherboard from tigerdirect they were a matching set...and the graphics card i know works. because i tried it in a different system
December 12, 2007 3:10:02 AM

try taking the battery out of the motherboard, it's a nickel-sized battery. that will definately clear the cmos.
December 12, 2007 3:10:48 AM

it says on here it needs 8pin 12v so i plugged the 8pin in.....umm i have an intel 2.33 ghz core2duo an xfx 680lt sli mobo...2gb corsair ram pc 6400 800mhz
December 12, 2007 3:13:27 AM

took the battery out turned on power...turned back off put battery back in repowered on still nothing
a b à CPUs
December 12, 2007 3:14:00 AM

Does mobo have built in speaker to beep activity? If not can you plug in speakers to see if it is beeping like the tree falling in the wilderness with no one to hear it.
December 12, 2007 3:15:10 AM

Well... Is your monitor set to see from the right channel (as in DVI not VGA)

Usually if you have a problem with your hardware the setup will not POST and beep like all hell, regardless if you have a speaker on it. To me it seems like there might be an issue with the power or how something is plugged in. I know with the Core2Duo there is no actual pins. Usually in the corner of the CPU there is a triangle of somesort and it should line up with another triangle on the socket on the mo-brd. Other than that I would try starting it up without any memory at all and see if it beeps. With no memory it should give you some sort of POST beep. If it doesnt beep after removing all the memory I would say it is either the mobrd or PS
December 12, 2007 3:15:24 AM

well i forgot to mention that the battery needs to stay out like five to ten minutes. another thing... the bios that shipped with ur board may not be up to date and not recognizing ur processor. get on xfx's website and check the bios'es. http://www.xfxforce.com/web/support/showSearchDriversPr...
December 12, 2007 3:15:45 AM

i hear no beeps and the speakers are plugged in and turned up loud.
December 12, 2007 3:19:42 AM

what do u mean? bios? ive heard of flashing a bios and stuff but remember there are no partitions set up or anything this is all straight out of the box. how would i fix it not recognizing my processor?
December 12, 2007 3:26:14 AM

yes exactly
December 12, 2007 3:26:35 AM

it does say something about my processor in the notes for the first one ....
December 12, 2007 3:27:29 AM

Did you try both DVI ports on the back of your video card? What type of monitor do you have? Mine I had to set it to accept the vga or dvi. Do you have another video card to test in the system?
December 12, 2007 3:27:32 AM

hmmmm, Have you tried the video card in both PCIe slots?

Like before take the battery out and let it set for about 5 minutes then out the battery back in. And Yeah, on the back of the PS there should be a red switch that visibly will say 115 or 110 and something in th 200's. Make sure it is on the 100's. Try the emory in both black slots and then in in the black and white slot in the pair closest to the processor. The Proc power should be keyed to only go in one way.
December 12, 2007 3:29:59 AM

Sorry about my typing, been drinkin... ;) 
December 12, 2007 3:31:13 AM

Smoked Turkey said:
hmmmm, Have you tried the video card in both PCIe slots?

Like before take the battery out and let it set for about 5 minutes then out the battery back in. And Yeah, on the back of the PS there should be a red switch that visibly will say 115 or 110 and something in th 200's. Make sure it is on the 100's. Try the emory in both black slots and then in in the black and white slot in the pair closest to the processor. The Proc power should be keyed to only go in one way.

Good thought....if it has sli yes is it in the correct slot and does the MB come with a good manual? There might be some trouble shooting hints in the manual.....
December 12, 2007 3:31:14 AM

dont have any other card to try but have tried this card on different comp its good. i have a crt monitor dell with the adaptor for DVI
!