Another Temp questing C2 Duo

bimmerbill

Distinguished
Jan 14, 2007
I read the OC guide and the temp guide and I think they are great!
Now, I just can't seem to understand the temp guide.

My E6300 runs at 46 or 47C using CoreTemp. I have an Artic Cooling 7. CoreTemp shows 85 as Tjunc max. Is 85 the MAX allowed temp?

I OCd my proccessor to 3GHz and it seems very stable. That pushes the temp up to 53 or so idle, 59 or 60 under Prime, 100% proc.

I guess I'm confused as to which temp is what, and what the max is. Bios reports a temp that is 39 or 40C. The Gigabyte ETC tools report the same temp as bios.

I've done a bunch of reading and I think 65C (thru CoreTemp) looks like a good target as max temp.

Am I on the right track?

CompuTronix

Intel Master
Section 6: Scale

Scale 5: Duo
E6x00: Tcase Max 61c, Stepping L2
E6x00: Tcase Max 60c, Stepping B2

-Tcase/Tjunction-
--60--/--65--65-- Hot
--55--/--60--60-- Warm
--50--/--55--55-- Safe
--25--/--30--30-- Cool

kkm557

Distinguished
Apr 16, 2008
From what I understand, core temp reads off the actual core. BIOS reads outside the core. Anyways, coretemp is what you should follow. The Tjunc is the temperature at which your computer will throttle the CPU to decrease heat (or maybe just shut it down). Since you are overclocking, you most likely disabled throttling, so it will just hit it's thermal threshold and shut down I believe. For everyday use, I believe that 60~65C is generally considered the max under load. 53C does seem high idle though.

On a side note, I've pushed my temps past 90C before, but it's a xeon x3210 so it's quite easy to get up to those temps and it has a 100C tjunc.

CompuTronix

Intel Master
kkm557, for everyone's benefit, and with regard to accuracy, allow me to clarify. From the Core 2 Quad and Duo Temperature Guide - http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/221745-29-core-quad-temperature-guide

"Section 5: Findings

(A) Tcase is acquired on the CPU Die from the CPU Case (not computer case) Thermal Diode as an analog level, which is converted to a digital value by the super I/O chip on the motherboard. The digital value is BIOS Calibrated and displayed by temperature software. BIOS Calibration affects the accuracy of Tcase, or CPU temperature.

(B) Tjunction is acquired within the Cores from Thermal Diodes as analog levels, which are converted to digital values by the Digital Thermal Sensors (DTS) within each Core. The digital values are Factory Calibrated and displayed by temperature software. Factory Calibration affects the accuracy of Tjunction, or Core temperatures.

(C) Tcase and Tjunction are both acquired from Thermal Diodes. Tcase and Tjunction analog to digital (A to D) conversions are executed by separate devices in different locations. BIOS Calibrations from motherboard manufacturers, Factory Calibrations from Intel, and popular temperature utilities are frequently inaccurate.

Respectfully, the term "Tjunc" as used in your statement is inappropriate, confusing and misleading:

The proper expression is Tjunction Max, which is the term defined by Intel as shown in the Specifications Section of the Guide, and as represented below:

Tjunction = Core temperature
Tjunction Max = Shutdown

Junction Temperature is a thermal measurement because it scales, thus the term TJ, or Tjunction, which means Core temperature.

Maximum Junction Temperature is a specification because it does not scale, thus the term TJ Max, or Tjunction Max, which means Shutdown.

Approximately 5c below Tjunction Max Throttling is activated. If Tjunction Max is reached, Shutdown occurs, which is determined by Processor Spec# and Stepping, but can vary between individual parts due to deviations with Intel Factory Calibrations.

Also from Section 5: Findings

(D) Intel shows Maximum Case Temperature (Tcase Max) in the Processor Spec Finder, which is the only temperature that Intel supports on Core 2 desktop processors."

(E) Intel does not provide documentation for Maximum Junction Temperature (Tjunction Max) on Core 2 desktop processors. For Throttling and thermal Shutdown protection, Intel uses the Digital Thermal Sensors (DTS) to monitor Delta to Tjunction Max, which is a relative value, and not an absolute temperature.

(F) Tjunction Max must be known to calculate absolute Core temperature, which is Tjunction. Without this information, popular temperature utilities may incorrectly estimate Tjunction Max, which results in excessive Core temperatures that are inconsistent among C2Q and C2D variants.

And from Section 6: Scale

"... as Tcase Max will be exceeded before Tjunction Max is reached, Tcase Max is always the limiting thermal specification."

See the Scale in my previous post.

The most sound advice is to always recommend a temperature monitoring utility such as SpeedFan 4.34 which shows Tcase (CPU temperature) AND Tjunction (Core temperatures).

I hope this helps to put temperatures into perspective.

Comp :sol: