Are there any DUAL SLOT coolers for the 8800GT?

xioSlayer

Distinguished
Dec 11, 2007
I'm very disappointed in my 8800GT due to its single slot cooler adding unnecessary heat to my case. Are there any options out there that I might be able to try?

I just can't believe that when given the options of dispersing heat back into the case with the SS cooler or shooting out the back of the case directly with a DS cooler, that they would choose the former.

my main motivation comes from me being unhappy with my processor's temps (C2D e6750 @ 2.8ghz with Acrtic Freezer 7 HS&F) which often idle at about 40 degrees Celsius at stock 2.8ghz with default voltage. I think that if the ambient case temperatures were not contaminated with the 8800GT's heat that I would be able to keep my processor cooler.

This doesn't leave much headroom for overclocking :/

Pintail

Distinguished
Nov 19, 2006

Perhaps you need a better case with more airflow. I'm at 3.4 GHz on stock cooling, and my temps are lower than yours. And I haven't even added the two more fans that I want. My case has a mount and filter for a 120mm fan in the floor of the case, bringing in the coldest air from the floor. I will put a fan here to pull air directly onto my 8800 gt oc2 and an 140mm in the ceiling of this case to remove the rising hot air(it will take 2 here). Then I will block any other unused fan openings with black plastic to get the input/output heat balance of my fans right. Man, this case has SEVEN fan mounts, Three fans come with case. INSANE! And it only cost me 49.98 after rebate at NCIX!

http://forums.techpowerup.com/showthread.php?t=40684

I like the looks of the Thermaltake Duorb GPU Cooler, but don't want to void my warranty by installing one!

nukchebi0

Distinguished
Jul 8, 2006
I get idle at 27-30C with a E6750. I definitely think case airflow is a problem, which is caused by the GT not dumping hot air through a rear exhaust as on a dual slot cooler. As pintail said, get another case fan to improve airflow.

pchoi04

Distinguished
Apr 2, 2007
It looks like the 8800GT will be equipped with a new fan. Not a dual slot but its a bigger fan with more blades. Ultimately quieter and cooler.

kpo6969

Distinguished
May 6, 2007
The new fan is slightly bigger (10mm I think)
Lower rpms
Somewhat quieter
Lowers temps like 3-4c (not enough in my opinion not to seek other options)

rosu9801

Distinguished
Feb 12, 2007
The big gain is in noise reduction = higher fan speed = less heat.
The new fans top speed was the old ones idle speed.
So not only will the new fan be more efficient then the old one but it will be quieter at higher speed settings.
So at the default speed (30%) with the old fan the new fan would be cooler and quieter at 70% fan speed.
Well thats what i understood when reading the review, sadly i forgot by who and i can't find it...

xioSlayer

Distinguished
Dec 11, 2007
I have an NZXT apollo. It has 2 x 120mm fans (front and back) with 1 x 120mm side fan over the PCI slots.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811146025

Why would the problem be airflow if I have so many fans and relatively neat cabling?

keep in mind that the temperature in my house is 78 degrees fahrenheit (unfortunately).

here is a better idea of my setup so you guys have a better idea of what is going on:

C2D e6750 @ 2.8ghz with 1.23V and Arctic Freezer 7 Pro Heatsink and fan.

XFX 8800GT 512mb 666/1900(effective)

2 x 1GB Corsair XMS2 DDR2 800mhz RAM @ 700mhz with 2.1V

2 x Western Digital Caviar SE WD2000JS 200GB (they sit right in front of the front intake)

Sound Blaster Audigy ZS 2

3 x 120mm fans.

Please help :[

kpo6969

Distinguished
May 6, 2007

I think you have it reversed.
bigger fan = lower fan speed = less noise
The new fan is like almost 2000rpm's less
Old one is like 4300rpm's (rough estimate, read it somewhere)

dodian

Distinguished
Dec 2, 2007
xioSlayer, perhaps try to mount your heatsink again with AS5 thermal paste? And those temperatures are absolutely incredible because I have a case thats pretty bad in airflow and with some 1 year old asus cooler its still idling at 30c @ 3.2, stock voltage. Maybe also try adding some pci-slot coolers as well.

Pintail

Distinguished
Nov 19, 2006
Why would the problem be airflow if I have so many fans and relatively neat cabling?

keep in mind that the temperature in my house is 78 degrees fahrenheit (unfortunately).

That's one of your main problems right there. My system is so cool because it is 3" off my basement floor, where it's about 17 degrees Celsius(I live in Winnipeg-a.k.a winterpeg)

Nothing personal, but I don't like your case for that room temperature. A a case ceiling mount fan would really help to pull rising heat out of your system. But not possible with that case. With room temperatures like that, water cooling may not even be that helpful. HMMMMM. :(

liswara

Distinguished
Dec 20, 2006
xioSlayer, first thing first...
How much is your 8800GT temp?

Second, about air flow case, not all the case that has front intake, rear exhaust and side intake is considered the good case. The case system enginering is the key here. They are all looked the same but in fact, are very different. And imo, the case that has top exhaust fan and bottom positioned PSU is the best case to keep temp cool inside.

For example, before I have my Antec900 case, I used Thermaltake Mambo case which is also has front, rear and side fan but my GPU temp can reach to 79C. Then I remove my side panel and have the house fan blow directly to my GPU and surpise, the temp go higher and higher. After I decided to replace my Mambo to Antec, my GPU went down to 66-67C max. What a good air flow case...another experience to learn :)

My spec is quite similar to yours and my XFX8800GT Extreme 512mb 640/1900 idles at 58-59C and full load at 70C max. My CPU temp idles at 29-31C in my Antec 900 case. My room temp is around 28-30C. For info, my case has 2x120mm front intake, 1x120mm side exhaust, 1x120mm rear exhaust and 1x200mm top exhaust.

If you intended to keep your case, maybe you can try this:
1. DL RivaTuner to adjust your GPU fan speed to spin according to your GPU temp. (hopefully your CPU temp will down a bit).
2. Do Dodian suggestion (re-mount you CPU HSF with AS5).
3. If you like DS VGA cooler you may try this :
http://www.thermaltake.com/product/Cooler/TMG/CL-G0099/cl-g0099.asp
(I think it can be mount on GT too, be sure to check out first)
or
http://www.thermaltake.com/product/Cooler/VGAnCHIPnMEM/CL-G0102/cl-g0102.asp
(Heard this one is the best GT cooler)
4. Or you can add this :
http://www.thermaltake.com/product/Cooler/TMG/A2414/A2414.asp
to your disperse the heat out of your case.

Hope I help...

rosu9801

Distinguished
Feb 12, 2007

Yeah sorry was at the end of the day i was dead tired and just wanted to get home. =)

poup23

Distinguished
Jun 9, 2006
You could also use this one:

http://www.zalmanusa.com/ see the VF1000

Zalman always have an almost silent fan, while that isn't the case for Thermaltake. I currently have this one on my ATI x1900:

http://thermaltakeusa.com/product/Cooler/TMG/CL-G0076/cl-g0076.asp

and its noise level is way over 16 dBa as they say. My Zalman CNPS 9700 CPU fan is supposed to be 19.5 dBa at 1250 RPM and the Thermaltake do much more noise than the Zalman's one.

xioSlayer

Distinguished
Dec 11, 2007

It is mounted with AS5 paste. I just opened up a box with two PCI coolers that I just recently bought, I'm going to see if they help significantly.

and to liswara:

My 8800GT temp idles at 51-52 degrees celsius @ 45% fan speed (using RivaTuner).
I really want an Antec 900, I will probably get one eventually. The reason i bought this NZXT case is because the Antec doesn't meet the height requirements for my desk. However, I will probably just get a new desk :[

I'll see what these PCI slot coolers can do and post back.

EDIT: After positioning the PCI slot cooler in all the possible positions until finding the best one, i dropped my CPU temp 1 degree celsius... That isn't even worth the fan cluttering up my case... *sigh*

xioSlayer

Distinguished
Dec 11, 2007
I have a new theory. Is it possible that my hard drives run too hot? I just bought a new 500GB Samsung and noticed something rather peculiar. My new 500GB HDD is in a slot that gets horrible airflow. Yet, that same drive is 29degrees Celsius. Now, my two 200GB Western Digital WD2000JS's are positioned about 1 inch away from each other, but they have a 120mm front intake fan blowing directly on them. Those HDDs ares idling at 36 degrees celsius and 42 degress celsius (temp difference is probably because one has Windows on it and the other is just storage.)

Are those temperatures normal? I question that they are not because as I said, my new SamSung 500GB model is only 29 degrees celsius, which is 7-9 degrees cooler than my 200GB storage drive that has a fan blowing directly on it...

What do you guys think?

Also, would you guys mind posting the voltages, temps, and clock speeds (NorthBridge, FSB, core, etc.) that you run your e6750's at so i can get some reference?

partialsum

Distinguished
Nov 20, 2007

Rofl

partialsum

Distinguished
Nov 20, 2007

That may play a part in it.

You have installed an aftermarket cooler? May wanna research to make sure you applied the paste in the proper amount and that your sink is on correctly. It doesn't look like anyone in this thread has mentioned that which is surprising. Also 2.66 to 2.8 isn't really much of a difference in Oc'ing. My research has shown that if you're going to overclock your cpu you need to do it upwards of 35% to make it worthwhile. I may be wrong.

So consider clocking back down to stock speed if all else fails. It's not gonna be a performance hit far as I can tell.

xioSlayer

Distinguished
Dec 11, 2007

I did research it. I even looked at the specific PDF from Arctic Silver explaining the optimal method of applying paste to Core 2 Duos.

Yes, i realize that 2.8 is practically no overclock at all. However, you gotta remember, it also doesn't make my temperature go up. it stays the same from 2.66 - I just like 2.8 better because of the number (call me weird or whatever).

However, my goal is 3.4ghz. When it was cold one night (which I am not getting a lot of even though its freakin' december) I opened my door to change my ambient temperature and I was able to get up to 3.2ghz with nice temps. *sigh*

trooper1947

Distinguished
Apr 11, 2007
Ain't it a bitch ya gotta get a cooler for a card that should of had a descent one on it ?? Buy a new case for the lousey design of that card ... what an option !!! Yet one more ripoff by nvidia . Are they gonna replace that fan setup on the ones they already sold that run the whole system hot .... NO .