BKRed

Distinguished
Dec 4, 2007
Am interested in thoughts on this build set up.

Thanks to all in advance.

Case - Cooler Master Cosmos
Power Supply - PC Power & Cooling 750 Quad (black)
HDD - 150GB Raptor (system drive) & 500 GB Maxtor (media drive)
DVD Burner - Samsung 20x
Motherboard - Asus Maximus x38 (not the special edition)
CPU - Intel E6750
CPU cooling - hermalright Ultima-90
RAM - 4GB A-Data DDR2 800 (cas latency 5) - to run Vista 64 bit
Video Card - EVGA 8800GT KO
Moitor - Carry over from last computer - 20in Dell LCD native 1600 x 1200 (not widescreen)

Gambini

Distinguished
Dec 4, 2007
One question: Do you really need the Raptor? If you have the money to spend, then fine by me. I thought about it for my latest build, but I decided that the performance gain was not worth the cost after about a month of deliberating. But seeing as you're going with the x38 chipset, you probably have enough money for it to not make that much of a difference on your pocket.

Other than that, it looks like a pretty solid build. The only thing I would do is consider a quad core, but if it won't suit what you need specifically, then don't go for it. By the way, it would help to know what you're planning on doing with the computer. (gaming, music recording, planning for world domination, etc.,)

I'd get a WD7500AAKS instead of those two disks. Too many horror stories about Maxtor. The WD7500AAKS gives you more space at almost the same speed as the Raptor.

You're better off spending less on the mobo and more on the CPU. For example P5K-E and Q6600. The X38 supports Crossfire but that's not going to help if you buy an nVidia card.

Excellent choice of PSU. Not sure it fits in that case, check first.
There's also a Silencer 610W. It's cheaper and powerful enough for that system.

4GB RAM - smart choice, Vista can definitely use it.

BKRed

Distinguished
Dec 4, 2007
Intend to mainly use the computer for gaming. Secondary uses will be: (1) poker (.net legal sites of course), (2) listening to music on i-tunes, (3) some Word processing for work, and (4) watching some movies (when wife kicks me out of the family room).

My monitor is a carryover and is 20in Dell LCD (not widescreen).

I kind of agree on the Maxtor but I got it for the low price of free, so decided to go with it. I have an external WD drive that I will use to back it up. Because I knew was going to use that drive for media, I decided to spring for the Raptor for system and games. I agree, I don't need the Raptor and it is probably the most frivilous thing in the build, but since the other drive was free I kind of justified it to myself.

As far as the CPU I condidered three: (1) E2160, (2) E6750, and (3) Q6600. I may want a Penryn about 18 months so I did not want to spend too much and feel guilty about getting rid of what i have so that eliminated the Q6600. I actually strongly considered the E2160 b/c of its overclock potential. In the end I decided on middle of the road. BTW - picked up a Thermalright Ultima-90 for CPU cooling.

The potential to get a Penryn someday also dictated the motherboard choice - wanted the Asus x38 for the 1600 FSB. I also really liked all the fan headers on the Maximus. However, its a bummer that there is no eSATA. Finally, the PCI Express 2.0 seems like a good thing but might turn out to be a waste - hard to say at this point.

I considered the Foxconn x38a because it has both ddr2 and ddr3, but seriously, do I want Foxconn?

Also got the EVGA video card so maybe can step up 90 days from now if I do not like this card, or something tons better is out.

The power supply will fit - the Cosmos case is gynormous. It has already arrived and seriously, its almost too big but I like all the cool features. Hopefully will be quiet too - my last computer sounds like a hair dryer and I can't take it any more.

The A-Data RAM is a bit of a concern - never really heard about them but the Newegg reviews were good. Anyway, I got 4GB DDR2 800 for $70 after rebate so decided to roll the dice. I almost got the Patriot Extreme 4GB DDR2 800 (cas latency 4) but this stuff was $100 less.

So much about building a computer seems like a crap shoot. You do research but in the end it seems like little more than educated guessing.

Anyway, thanks for the thoughts and let me know if you have others.

Nastro

Distinguished
Dec 4, 2007
Nice. I really want to build my new PC with a x38 mobo, BUT they all only support crossfire. And from what I read in doing my research nVidia isn't even going to make drivers to support that setup. Totally agree about the Maxtor, but you're hook up cancels that problemo. My setup is similar: cosmos, q6600, p35 mobo, evga 8800gts640mb, 150gb raptor, corsair XMS ddr2 800. Triple check your nVidia support on that board though. I also read that people running nVidia cards on x38 boards are using modified drivers. Which I know nothing about. Nice build though.

BKRed

Distinguished
Dec 4, 2007
Nastro,

Our builds do sound very similar. I hope they work out for both of us. Good luck to you and I will check on the modified drivers. Thanks.