Sign in with
Your question

Use a IBM 84 key keyboard with XP

Last response: in Windows XP
May 4, 2010 3:24:49 AM

Hello,
I have an old IBM spacesaver keyboard, 1397681 I would like to use with Windows XP. Is there a place where I can find a freeware driver for this old keyboard?

More about : ibm key keyboard

a b \ Driver
May 4, 2010 5:10:31 AM

With the computer shutdown, have you tried to just connect the keyboard to your computer and reboot?

a b \ Driver
May 4, 2010 6:39:50 AM

+1. It's a PS/2 keyboard so it should just work. If your computer is a laptop without any PS/2 connectors you'll need to buy a PS/2 to USB convertor, which should cost about $15.
Related resources
May 12, 2010 4:57:45 PM

Thanks for your responses. Actually, the keyboard works, but what I can't get it to do,[or I can't remember the key combination to do so] is to NOT have the letters J-K-L = 1-2-3; U-I-O = 4-5-6.

I used this keyboard for years and then set it aside about 5 years ago. Now I would like to use it because of its space saving ability and I can't turn off the damn numbers! I seemed to recall that previously I had made some BIOS adjustment, but when I looked at this current BIOS, I didn't see anything that looked like an appropriate adjustment.

So ... if anyone knows how I can get the letters J-K-L, U-I-O & M back again, I'd really appreciate it.
May 12, 2010 4:58:34 PM

Thanks for your responses. Actually, the keyboard works, but what I can't get it to do,[or I can't remember the key combination to do so] is to NOT have the letters J-K-L = 1-2-3; U-I-O = 4-5-6.

I used this keyboard for years and then set it aside about 5 years ago. Now I would like to use it because of its space saving ability and I can't turn off the damn numbers! I seemed to recall that previously I had made some BIOS adjustment, but when I looked at this current BIOS, I didn't see anything that looked like an appropriate adjustment.

So ... if anyone knows how I can get the letters J-K-L, U-I-O & M back again, I'd really appreciate it.
May 12, 2010 7:21:32 PM

It's generaly just the NumLock state, have a look in the BIOS for a "Turn NumLock Off" option.
May 20, 2010 12:07:00 AM

Thanks for the hint! Now that you mention it, the NumLock sounds familiar. I'm away from that computer until June. I'll try it when I get back and let you know.
June 14, 2010 3:37:16 PM

Sorry it has taken a while to respond. I have the old IBM keyboard working again! Actually, I'm kind of embarassed that I didn't remember the NumLk. I went into the BIOS and this BIOS is rather abbreviated. I'm not sure if it is because my employer has installed an abbreviated BIOS, but there wasn't a "NumLk" option in the BIOS. But then, I looked at the keyboard itself and sure enough ... there in the upper right corner was an actual KEY that said "NumLk." So, I pressed the key and voila! the j-k-l works the way it is supposed to!!

Thanks for all your help. I'm happy to be thumping away on this keyboard again.
!