Asus Lion Square

snarfies1

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
I'm getting the last of my parts for my new system, based around a Q9450 (quite an upgrade from my single-core Athlong 64 3000+). I intend to lightly overclock, just to 400fsb.

So I'm looking for a heatsink that is quiet, works well, and possibly has a bit of bling, and I found this new Asus cooler, the Lion Square: http://usa.asus.com/products.aspx?l1=16&l2=65&l3=0&l4=0&model=2146&modelmenu=1

Looks good, sounds like it is very quiet indeed, and with 8 heatpipes, it ought to perform fairly well. Plus the Asus heatsinks aren't just mounted with pushpins, a concept that makes me very nervous indeed with these larger/heavier coolers.

I can find no reviews of it. Anyone tried it yet?

Look at the Arctic Cooling Freezer 7 Pro or the Xigmatek HDT-S1283. True, they use pushpins, but they're very good coolers. The Xigmatek is appropriate even for major overclocks.

dagger

Splendid
Mar 23, 2008
Yeah, that cooler looks like a lot of flash and little substance. Stick to the tried and true models. I especially don't like how they advertising the quiteness and low rpm. With same size fan, faster spinning fan = more airflow and more cooling. Unless they've managed to break the rules of physics, the two comes hand in hand and there's no way around it. Low rpm = low airflow = bad cooling.