Sign in with
Your question

windows BSOD help with intel 946gzis 4GB DDR-II (2GBx2)

Last response: in Motherboards
December 29, 2007 3:35:25 PM

Hello all,

I have an intel 946GZIS motherboard with 4GB Transcend JetRAM DDR-II 667 (2GBx2).
Windows vista 32 bit ultimate or windows xp 64bit - both boot properly but after 2-3 minutes i get a BSOD

0x00000024 (....)

I have applied related windows based patches but still I could not get any solution.

Please let me know if you have any solution as I need the 4GB ram for the video encoding and other memory stuff I do.

Thanks.

Rgds.
December 29, 2007 3:37:37 PM

I forgot to mention that both the OS' run well with a single 2GB stick or with 2GB + 1GB stick (3GB total RAM)
a b V Motherboard
December 29, 2007 4:13:34 PM

Give us a history - new build? ram upgrade? did you just go from 2 gig to 4 gig? running well before and just started happening etc?

also give full system specs - incl. PSU make/model, video card, CPU

Just guesing it sounds like a RAM issue of some sort. Be sure the BIOS is setting the RAM to correct voltage, speed, and timings, any problem in those settings might cause this.

Will it run OK with just I 2 gig stick?

Rum memtest86 on each stick individually and see if you get errors.

Yikes! Just saw you second post. Will it run OK with either one alone? In other words have you tested both sticks individually? Still, check all the specs I mentioned above.
December 29, 2007 4:34:03 PM

Definately run memtest86. One of your 2g has to be bad.
December 29, 2007 4:41:30 PM

notherdude, roadrunner

Thanks a lot for help.

1. I have tested both the 2GB sticks individually - they run great.

2. memtest does not report any issues.

3. After adding the ram only I installed a fresh vista ultimate, after adding 4GB the issue is coming from the start. The installation goes fine means that probably no issue with the hardware but with some software/drivers.

4. video card - 7300LE, CPU E6300, PSU - this is a decent local brand available in india - at present I do not suspect the PSU because the system runs great with 2GB + 1GB in another slot - the mobo has only two memory slots.

The installation goes fine means that probably no issue with the hardware but with some software/drivers.

Any clues?
December 29, 2007 4:56:07 PM

Did yo use windows memtest or memtest86? How long did you run it. Run it four 6 hours ans see what happens. You could try rrunning 2 gigs until you find all of the vista updates. I've read there is a update for 4g ram, I cant find the link. I dont know if you got to download it from MS site or if it will show up on update site.
a b V Motherboard
December 29, 2007 6:37:11 PM

tlmck said:
See if this answers any questions. http://www.intel.com/support/motherboards/desktop/d946g...

I see on tlmck's link that this MOBO supports 1.8v RAM only. If your RAM wants a higher voltage, which is quite common BTW, this could be your problem. Sometimes you can run 1 stick at sub-spec voltage but not two. I couldn't find the mfgs specs for your JetRam though, on a quick search, though it must be out there. Well, looking at Transcend's site most of their DDR II seems to be 1.8 v.

Try running the RAM at 533 instead of 677 if you can make such an adjustment on that MOBO.
a b V Motherboard
December 29, 2007 7:57:23 PM

I'll copy my post from the Vista area to here, since that thread hasn't moved since:

Quote:
Stop: 0x00000024
A "Stop: 0x00000024" error message occurs when Windows Vista encounters an unrecoverable error when it tries to access an NTFS partition or a volume on the hard disk. Typically, you receive a "Stop: 0x00000024" error message during Windows Vista Setup when one or more of the following conditions are true:
• The file system or partition structure is corrupted.
• A driver compatibility issue exists. For example, the file system driver for an antivirus program or for other utility can cause this issue.
To troubleshoot a "Stop: 0x00000024" error message when you try to upgrade to Windows Vista, use one or more of the following methods, as appropriate for your situation.

Caution We recommend that you perform a full backup before you implement any of the following methods.
Method 1: Run the CHKDSK program
To run the CHKDSK (Chkdsk.exe) program, follow these steps:
1. Use the Windows Vista DVD to start the computer in Windows Recovery (WinRE). For more information about how to start Windows Recovery, visit the following Microsoft Web site:
http://windowshelp.microsoft.com/Windows/en-US/Help/f76... (http://windowshelp.microsoft.com/Windows/en-US/Help/f76...)
2. In WinRE, open a command prompt. To do this, follow these steps:
a. On the Install Windows screen, select the appropriate Language to install, Time and currency format, and Keyboard or input method options, and then click Next.
b. Click Repair your computer.
c. Click the Vista installation that you want to repair, and then click Next.

Note Click Load Drivers only if you have to load a driver to access a hard disk.
d. Click Command Prompt.
3. At the command prompt, type the following command, and then press ENTER:
chkdsk drive: /r
Note In this command, drive is the hard disk where you want to install Windows Vista.
4. If Chkdsk.exe does not find and does not repair any errors on the hard disk where you want to install Windows, run Chkdsk.exe on any other NTFS hard disks on the computer. To verify the partitions that are configured on the computer, follow these steps:
a. At the command prompt, type the following command, and then press ENTER:
Diskpart
b. At the DISKPART prompt, type the following command, and then press ENTER:
List vol
Note the hard disk information that is returned.
c. At the DISKPART prompt, type the following command, and then press ENTER:
exit
d. At the command prompt, type the following command, and then press ENTER:
exit

Source: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/935806/en-us
a b V Motherboard
December 29, 2007 11:42:13 PM

Quote:
Windows vista 32 bit ultimate or windows xp 64bit

He gets it on both OS. Perhaps it is a hard drive issue. Run chkdsk for sure and/or try a different drive.
December 30, 2007 3:16:37 AM

Hello all,

Thanks a lot for the help.

roadrunner : I ran memtest86 but not for 6 hours, I will try to run it.

notherdude : The ram supports 1.8v only. I did not run it at 533mhz, this is also one thing i will try.

scott : I will try to run chkdsk

thanks.
!