Sign in with
Your question

looking for a gaming board for a rebuild system.

Last response: in Motherboards
December 29, 2007 5:48:58 PM

hi all, I am rebuilding my system and was once AMD I am now going with Intel.

I have picked up the duo core2 E6850 processor and I need help with finding a mobo/mem to match up for gaming.

my old system before in crashed and burned due to a lightning storm, I was using an abit fatality sli board with a AMD chip and had 2 evga 7900 gt vid cards < which are still useable> and I plan to reuse them until I can upgrade them in the future.

for the Mobo I was looking at the abit in9 sli board <fatality one> but heard mixed reviews on it, board being stuburn
tricky finding the right mem combo ect.

does anyone have a good set up suggestion for a mobo and mem for me?

this cpu will be for online gaming like WoW and other mass role games.

thanks for any help/suggestions.
December 30, 2007 6:21:01 PM

Are going with a single graphics board? What kind of budget?
Related resources
December 30, 2007 7:39:07 PM

chuckm said:
Are going with a single graphics board? What kind of budget?

Considering OP has 2x7900GT im assuming OP is gunna want SLI

Do yourself a favour and wait for the 780i to be more available... eventually this should have support for Yorkfields which would be a nice final upgrade before Nehalem hits...
December 30, 2007 8:50:53 PM

I would like to keep the sli only because I have two older cards atm and still need to get a board/ram so vid card wouldbe the last upgrade.

as for budget its about $600 dollars

here are a few boards I was looking at
asus commando
msi-p6n-sli-platinum
evga 680i lt sli

I did take a look at the 780i sli but not sure on a 3 vid card set up, seems that would be a ton of heat.

I am not against going the single vid card either, I maybe looking at it the wrong way for the future but I like to have the option of adding the second card in when I do upgrade to the 8800 or higher cards.

do you lose much on a sli board when not using both cards?
December 30, 2007 9:50:37 PM

you dont "loose" anything as such... the 780i doesnt HAVE to be run in Tri-SLI ... dual will work fine and so will the single.

If you werent so PRO SLI i would say to get a P35 or x38 board but they will only run a single NVIDIA GPU.
December 30, 2007 11:45:19 PM

Sorry, I guess I misread the description.
!