ax0nist

Distinguished
Sep 26, 2008
Hi! I'm new here and this is my first time posting. I'm hoping someone can shed some light on my issue.

I did search, and I found some answers, but I have a slightly different issue.

I'm transferring from one drive to another on Vista, and I'm getting a transfer speed of about 2.5MB/s. This seem's really slow to me. I ran HD Tach for drive one, and I get burst speed of 193.3MB/s with a 70MB/s average sequential read speed. For drive two, burst of 124.8MB/s and 35mb/s average sequential (laptop harddrive)

My harddrive is a WD5000AAKS (WD Caviar® Blue 500 GB, 3 Gb/s, 16 MB Cache, 7200 RPM), and it's connected to my intel motherboard via a sata interface (3gb/s). Now I know that 3gb/s isn't achieveable (since the hard drive isn't fast enough)... but 3mb/s just seems outright slow.

I have DMA enabled on my controllers (both), and under vistas harddrive settings I have write caching turned on, but advanced performance turned off. I did turn adv perf on, but it seems to uncheck itself.

So is my harddrive just really this slow or is there something I'm missing?

dreimanis

Distinguished
May 14, 2008
I've got the same problem.

I've got a small HDD and and i tried to copy 100GB data from one USB external drive to it. It started around 25MB/sec and then dropped to about 5MB/sec. I thought i first transfer the data to internal drive and then move to USB drive.
But again, the transfer starts at about 30MB/sec and then drops to about 5MB/sec. Also the computer becomes very unresponsive while CPU works at about 5-10%.

Very weird and some kind of advice would be very nice :)