Gigabyte GA-X38-DQ6 SATA / Bios Setting

Fakum

Distinguished
Oct 18, 2007
I am building a new Gaming PC, I have a
Gigabyte GA-X38-DQ6 Mobo and I have a single SATA 2 hard drive attached to SATA0 and a SATA DVD/CD burner attached to SATA1 on the mother board.

Bios settings to choose?
SATA RAID/AHCI Mode, Options are:
(Disabled) which disables Raid for the SATA controllers and configs it to PATA (Default)
(AHCI) Configures SATA controllers to AHCI mode.
(Raid) Enables Raid for SATA controllers.
I have it currently set at AHCI as I am not doing raid, and PATA config doesn’t sound right to me for a SATA drive.

Then we have:
SATA Port0-3 Native Mode (Specifies the operating mode of the SATA controllers)
(Disabled) Allows SATA controller to operate in Legacy IDE mode.
(Enabled) Allows SATA controller to operate in Native IDE mode.
????????????????????????????????????? no clue here, thanks for any help.

Fakum

Distinguished
Oct 18, 2007
Latest Info
I am building a new Gaming PC, I have a
Gigabyte GA-X38-DQ6 Mobo
Crucial Ballistix 4 GB (4 x 1GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400)
Q6600 Go stepping CPU
EVGA GeForce 8800GTS (G92) 512MB 256bit GDDR3 PCI Express 2.0
SATA2 Hard Drive
SATA DVD/CD burner

I initially had the SATA2 hard drive to SATA0, and the SATA DVD/CD burner on SATA1.
When I initially installed Windows XpPro, The bios settings for the following were set @
SATA Raid/AHCI Mode (Disabled)
SATA Port0-3 Native Mode (enabled).
I was at that time able to install WinXP, and except for some Windows XP udates that failed (reasons unknown) I decided to reformat and start over. Being uncertain about some bios settings pertaining to setting up the SATA drive, I did some reading online.One of the things I found on Intels website about AHCI, was to just go ahead and set the bios to Raid configuration, and install the raid driver in F6 mode before loading the OS. http://www.intel.com/support/chipsets/imst/sb/cs-015988.htm
Cool ,,, sounds easy enough! I downloaded an F6 SATA2 driver from Gigabyte. I also updated the bios. I proceded as instructed.
SATA Raid/AHCI Mode (Raid)
SATA Port0-3 Native Mode (disabled) or (Enabled)still gives error
Onboard SATA/IDE Device (Enabled)
Onboard SATA/IDE Ctrl Mode (RAID/IDE) or (AHCI) still gives error

As I get past the section where I load the SATA driver (F6) mode, windows continues to load some drivers , then I get this BLUE SCREEN. It says something to the effect that windows has stopped because a drive might have a virus, or if I installed a new hard drive I need to check the connections, and or configuration settings and a couple other things. I can of course write all this error info down if it will be helpful. I keep reformatting and making adjustments, I even plugged the SATA cables from the hard drive and the DVD/CD burner into the Gigabyte SATA interfaces with the same results. I will stop here incase I need to add more specific info. Please advise, Thanks.

Bohoba

Distinguished
Nov 28, 2007
I am thinking one of the hard drives is bad had the same thing happen tho me fact I better get it sent off for rma :)

SATA RAID/AHCI=RAID
SATA PORTS 0-3 NATIVE = DISABLED
ONBOARD SATA/IDE DEVICE = ENABLED
ONBOARD SATA/IDE CTRL MODE = RAID/IDE

got 2x 250gigs in raid 0

after a fight with a bad DOA HD that is so check that