• Lupiron(CPU)

Votes: 3 33.3%
  • B-Unit(CPU)

Votes: 2 22.2%
  • lucuis(GPU)

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Greetings fellow THF members!

So today I thought that with all the new hype about the new hardware (ie. ATI 4800s,etc) it would be appropriate for us to hold a overclocking contest. As far as I know this is the first mass overclocking competition in the history of THF.

=============================================================

The current overclocking competition is divided in to two:
GPU overclocking
CPU Overclocking

RULES

+DO NOT TRY AND CHEAT! (ie. No PhotoShoping benchmark results to make it look better,etc)
+ You must submit a CPUZ and/or GPUZ verified link for all of your overclocks
+ If many people start to dispute a persons findings or shows proof of cheating their submissions will be invalid and will loose my respect
+ You must submit valid screen shots of all benchmarks listed in the particular section
+ No one is responsible for damage (software/hardware, etc) caused by this competition
+ Due to demand NO LN2 or extreme cooling.

GPU Overclocking:
The winner will be chosen by the following criteria:

***You MUST submit a GPUZ validated link***

+ The percent of the overclock from the stock settings
+ 3DMark06 score (no 3DMark Vantage please)
+ How hard/easy is it to overclock a particular GPU to a certain limit

*Bonus will be awarded for the following*
+ Methods used for overclocking (ie voltmods)
+ Stability (ATiTool "Scan Artifact test for x number of hours or other 3D Stability test)

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

CPU Overclocking:
The winner will be chosen by the following criteria:

***You MUST submit a CPUZ validated link***

+ PCMark05 score
+ Supper Pi time (Supper Pi v1.5 mod XS can be downloaded here)
+ SiSoftware Sandra Lite Arithmetic and Multimedia benchmarks (Sandra XII SP2; can be downloaded here)
+ How hard/easy is it to overclock a particular CPU to a certain limit
+ At least 7hrs of Prime95 (Small FFT) Stable.

*Bonus will be awarded for the following*
+ Methods used for overclocking (ie voltmods)
+ Stability ( Prime95 test for 7+x number of hours or other CPU stability test)

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

PRIZES

=First, Second,Third prices will be chosen by the members of THF through a poll once the competition dead line is reached. I will decide the top 15 people who will enter the THF user poll that will complete for the top three places=

+ Be known as a overclocking king for 2008.
+ Will receive a image with their THF user name that they can include in their signature (see below) *
+ Will gain the respect of many THF members, as well as my respect for your skill.
+ Bragging rights

* If you are interested in designing a template for the image for the signature please PM me. I will need 6 unique designs. The images must be 400*35 with space for the user name.

The competition will start 5/1/2008. Current dead line is 5/31/2008.

:bounce: Good luck to all! :bounce:

terror112

Distinguished
Dec 25, 2006
Oooooo.... Can't wait!! I believe my little baby can go up up and away!!
anyways, I will just enter for the fun of it.. hope I can get my 3.2ghz e6750 @1.3125volt to run at 3.5 or higher ^^. And my memory running @ 1ghz atm woot. Lets see what happends.

Kaldor

Distinguished
Jul 13, 2006
Shadow
You may want to break this up a little bit. Anyone running LN2 and a voltmod is most likely going to win.

Maybe break this up into air cooled, water cooled, everything else.

roadrunner197069

Splendid
Sep 3, 2007
I would like to see either some limitations IE.. no dry ice, LN, air or water only.

Or create classes is you want to include extreme.

Personally I dont give a crap how high you can run on LN or Dry ice.

The contest should be for a 24/7 setup, and no one uses that extreme for a 24/7 build.

You should also consider giving cash prizes, and make all contestants register for $10 Paypal with their Forum name in the notes, so you can keep tabs on who paid. I would pay $10 to play.

Depending on money we could even offer Hardware prizes for 1st, 2nd, and third.

If it has extreme cooling and such I'm not interested at all, but with some standard rules and decent prizes, I'm all over it.

Ok cool. I took out the LN2 and extreme cooling.I kept the volt mods though. This is because I don't really want the "challenge" away from getting the top spots. Unfortunately I can't give cash prizes or other prizes.

roadrunner197069

Splendid
Sep 3, 2007
Lets include Prime95 stable 8 hours. It dont matter how high one can go just to get a CPU-z screenshot. I want to see a stable competition. I can get a screenshot of my e2180 at 3.8 but she fails prime over 3.0 with the stock cooler.

I can help organize if peeps get interested in entry fees and prizes.

closed_deal

Distinguished
Oct 30, 2007
I'd like to enter, when my new case finally arrives and i can finally fit my water cooling inside not out. Determined to break 20k on 3dmark :). I've been waiting for an excuse to burn this PC in hehe. If i don't need to RMA summit afterwards I've failed :D.

*Edit* Damn notice you want Sandra. Sandra not work with comp grr. Think getting her to work will be more difficult than o/cing :).

lucuis

Distinguished
Apr 21, 2008
**UPDATED SUPERPI** NOW LATEST VERSION

GPU

Notice. All screenshots are cropped so you all don't have to see my background twice due to my second monitor.

http://www.techpowerup.com/gpuz/dfkx6/

3DMark06
3DMark14052.jpg

Used EVGA Precision to OC

Ati Tool
lol about 15-30 seconds between artifacts.

When i had it clocked to a core of 761 it ran for nearly 30min before artifacting.

Also these clock speeds where used only for the benchmarks. I run the card at 777/1917/1032 as the 24/7 clock speeds.

CPU 43.75% OC

http://valid.x86-secret.com/show_oc.php?id=354584

PCMark05
PCMark0510733.jpg

Superpi
UpdatedSuperpi.jpg

Sandra Arithmetic
SiSoftwareSandraArithmetic.jpg

Sandra Multi-Media
SiSoftwareSandraMulti-Media.jpg

Prime95
Screenshot at 6.5hrs in.
Prime9565hrs.jpg

Pic using camera at ~7hrs. Couldn't take a screenshot as it was froze.
May2008002.jpg

Gravemind123

Distinguished
Aug 10, 2006
Looks exciting, but the GPU overclocking 3DMark part will kill me. I have a volt-modded 7900GS(that for the competition I would try to take even higher, 1.5v instead of 1.4v), but it will lose to plenty of barely overclocked cards that are newer in 3DMark. Hopefully you don't count that for much, or compare it to 3DMark06 scores above stock for the card you have, rather then compare it to a competing card. IE, have people submit stock legitimated 3DMark scores for their card then do it overclocked and see the difference, because someone with a quadcore and 3xSLI is going to clearly beat my 7900GS to death, but if its compared to stock, maybe I can overclock higher then he can and get a better overclocked to stock performance ratio then they can.

Evilonigiri

Splendid
Jun 8, 2007

Didn't need the extra power, and also I have a crappy cooler.

I learned something though. Vcore for 2GHz is .9875v, so much lower than what is needed for 3.15Ghz.

Congrats! You are the first contestant. Your standings will be updated in the evening.

Nice background btw. Halo CE or Halo 2/3?

G

I'll have to pass. Don't want to burn up my hardware for bragging rights. I've had my Q6600 at 3.6Ghz but couldn't find a stable voltage for it. Didn't want to up VCore so high to make it stable so I'm happy at 3.2Ghz. I know people here have gotten Q6600s to 3.8Ghz on air. I'm not going to try to do that.

seboj

Distinguished
Mar 31, 2008
Aw man, my Q6700, 8800gt x 2 and WCing parts won't be here for another 2 weeks. :cry:

I don't think my 4800+ OCed to 2.9 and stock x1950 pro are going to cut it >>

Lupiron

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2008
::Yawns and looks around.:: Maybe I should get to firing up my 1.2000 VID q6600? if only you all knew what it takes to go from 3.6 to 3.8 and stay prime stable!

Deuce271, I can help you find that stable voltage!

And alot of those 3.8 on air are NOT prime stable. Trust me, I know! (q6x00 series.) I ran my chip on air at 3.8 for a long time and had zero errors, but prime would blow up in a few minutes.

Thats because it takes minimal power because you'll never get the full drain and speed that a test can get. Sooo.. stability is in the eyes of the beholder. Is it stable when I can do everything I normally do for 2 weeks straight and have zero errors.

Or is it stable only when Prime is through with it?

--Lupi!

lucuis

Distinguished
Apr 21, 2008

It's Halo 3, i'm the dude with the rocket launcher :)

So Prime for 8+hrs is a requirement? If so which test to be specific. I'm assuming Small FFT though.

I've actually never tried it off. If i did increase scores it'd only be for 3DMark06, as with PCMark the visual settings have to be set to best appearance for some reason.

seboj

Distinguished
Mar 31, 2008

It's stable when They don't seize your chickens.