thegatekeeper

Distinguished
Nov 11, 2007
Here come some (maybe stupidly obvious) questions about the 8800gt:

Is 445$ too much for this card? I found a local deal that would overall be cheaper than importing it from overclockers.co.uk. I live in Malta btw.

Also, say we have an 8800 Ultra ( https://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=GX-049-BG&groupid=701&catid=56&subcat=1009 ) and an 8800 GTX ( https://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=GX-040-BG&groupid=701&catid=56&subcat=877 ).

Now let us look at the clocks on both cards:

The Ultra has a 630 MHz clock, while the (inferior) GTX has a 650MHz clock. Does this mean the the GTX is faster, or are the clocks different?

folius

Distinguished
Nov 20, 2007
Clock speed doesnt mean everything. The new ATI cards have a clock speed of ~700mhz (if im not mistaking) and the 8800GT stock has 600mhz and the 8800GT beats it in benchmarks.

$440 seems incredibly high to me. You can almost buy an ultra for that. You can get a new GTS for $370 here in the states, but I would have no idea the exchange rates and availibities where you are.

In the thing between the Ultra and the GTX Overclock...

They pretty much have the same core/shader/memory clocks, but the big thing is that texture fill rates and the memory bandwidths are different.

Ultra: - Texture Fill Rate: 39.1 billion/sec
- Memory Bandwidth: 103.6GB/s

GTX: - Texture Fill Rate: 36.8 billion/sec
- Memory Bandwidth: 86.4GB/s

Also, the Ultra has better benchmarks on every site and the dual slot exaust allows the hot air to escape from the back of your computer. The GTX might take up another slot inside your case, but with no exaust its going to get pretty hot.

Note for BOTH cards... Note: This card is 275mm in length so make sure it fits in your case! Also the cards require PCI-E x16 slots, they will not function in a x8 slot so for SLi you need dual x16 mainboard. Finally 500W minimum for PSU and 600W+ is recommended.

thegatekeeper

Distinguished
Nov 11, 2007
It costs 407$ from overclockers, maybe Malta is just stupidly expensive?

And here is how much an ultra costs: 990$ =D

Check it out for yourself here www.ultramalta.com , and note that this is the only gaming computer shop in malta.

dingo

Distinguished
Dec 12, 2007
hello....

can you tell me where are u seeing that malta is very very more expensive...?

also about tiger direct ... i didnt see any ultra at the store...

and also dont forget the market in usa is different than that of europe ... and we you buy from usa and get it back to malta you have to pay more shipping and sometime duty and then vat .,...

thegatekeeper

Distinguished
Nov 11, 2007

That depends if the price difference would be worth it, how much would you reckon it would cost?