Network ready Printers

Can a non network ready printer be shared over the Internet. If so, any
suggestions on what brand? I have a HP Deskjet 940c printer. Any help
with sharing this between two computers - one with Win XP Home Edition and
the other one with Win98SE - would be appreciated.

--
Lavert Y Bryant
Powder Springs GA

    Some models are not intended to be shared on a network and others have
    a special driver version that needs to be downloaded. Your printer can be
    networked. Set the printer up on the XP machne. You must turn on file and
    print sharing on both sytems, turn on sharing of the printer in the printer
    properties, give your printer a name less than 12 characters by right
    clicking on the printers and selecting rename. On the 98 machine you can
    run the add printer wizard. Post back for further assistance.

    Don Kendrick

    Lavert wrote:

    > Can a non network ready printer be shared over the Internet. If so, any
    > suggestions on what brand? I have a HP Deskjet 940c printer. Any help
    > with sharing this between two computers - one with Win XP Home Edition and
    > the other one with Win98SE - would be appreciated.

    If you enable printer sharing over your workgroup most printers can be
    shared with other computers on your LAN. Make sure you use a firewall on
    your router or ICS server to keep computers outside your local workgroup
    from accessing the printer. The computer the printer is connected to
    MUST be operating for other computers to use the printer. Windows 98 and
    Windows ZP computers can be networked together.

    If by non-network ready you mean a print device with no internal NIC then
    yes of course they can be shared and used. I have never run into a print
    device I have been unable to network. Sometimes you need to trick them a bit
    but it is doable.

    Over the internet? Yes, but you need an OS capable of printing to a URL. XP
    can. 98 Can't. Sorry, but your not going to be able to do what you asked
    without a VPN.
    VPN = too much trouble when printers are so cheap.

    "Lavert" <b_lavert@bellsouth.net> wrote in message
    > Can a non network ready printer be shared over the Internet. If so, any
    > suggestions on what brand? I have a HP Deskjet 940c printer. Any help
    > with sharing this between two computers - one with Win XP Home Edition and
    > the other one with Win98SE - would be appreciated.
    >
    > --
    > Lavert Y Bryant
    > Powder Springs GA

Hewlett Packard Microsoft Printers Windows XP