Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Windows XP boot from USB flashdrive

Last response: in Windows XP
May 4, 2010 10:38:12 PM

Hi,
I have a windows XP PC that stops during bootup process.
I google my problem and believe its due to the driver speedfan.exe.
I think I need to boot up from USB flashdrive than find speedfan.exe on C drive and rename it to speedfan.ex_. This should solve my bootup problem.
I know how to change BIOS to boot from USB flashdrive. But how can I create a bootable flashdrive? I can't find my windows XP CD so I can't boot into recovery console. In the old days, creating a bootable floppy was easy. PE Builder requires a Windows 2000 server download of almost 300MB, than extract 2 files from it and image the USB flashdrive. I hope there is an easier solution. Any ideas on a quick way to format a USB flashdrive and make it bootable so I can move to C drive and rename one file?
Thanks,
Kevin
May 5, 2010 5:49:26 AM

paticpatic said:
Hi,
I have a windows XP PC that stops during bootup process.
I google my problem and believe its due to the driver speedfan.exe.
I think I need to boot up from USB flashdrive than find speedfan.exe on C drive and rename it to speedfan.ex_. This should solve my bootup problem.
I know how to change BIOS to boot from USB flashdrive. But how can I create a bootable flashdrive? I can't find my windows XP CD so I can't boot into recovery console. In the old days, creating a bootable floppy was easy. PE Builder requires a Windows 2000 server download of almost 300MB, than extract 2 files from it and image the USB flashdrive. I hope there is an easier solution. Any ideas on a quick way to format a USB flashdrive and make it bootable so I can move to C drive and rename one file?
Thanks,
Kevin

[#0005ff]Can you restart and tap the Function 8 key while Windows is statring to boot, then select "Disable automatic restart on system failure". That will make any Stop Error messages on a blue screen stand still long enough to be read and you could post some of it back here. We need to see the numeric code - 0x0000?? or similar and any WORDS_JOINED_UP_WITH_UNDERSCORES. Googling for problems is a good thing to do but it's unlikely that renaming a single file could prevent the system form failing.[/#000ff]
m
l
May 5, 2010 11:09:43 AM

Thanks for the reply,
I don't get the blue screen, in safe mode the last thing to load is getio.sys, than nothing happends, not even after being on all night. I googled my problem and other people said the speedfan.exe that is loaded before getio.sys causes the same problem. I need a DOS prompt from booting on USB falshdrive, so I can change to C drive and rename the speedfan.exe file and see if it works. thanks, Kevin
m
l
Related resources

Best solution

May 9, 2010 6:48:52 AM

paticpatic said:
Thanks for the reply,
I don't get the blue screen, in safe mode the last thing to load is getio.sys, than nothing happends, not even after being on all night. I googled my problem and other people said the speedfan.exe that is loaded before getio.sys causes the same problem. I need a DOS prompt from booting on USB falshdrive, so I can change to C drive and rename the speedfan.exe file and see if it works. thanks, Kevin

[#0005ff]Sorry - I missed this reply before today. You'll need to rename the .sys file associated with that .exe to move it down the listso that it eithe rappears after mup.sys or not at all. [/#000ff]
May 9, 2010 1:39:06 PM

Just to let you know that it worked, I rena :wahoo:  med those files and now bootup is normal. I un-installed that speed fan software so it should never happen again. Thanks for the advice. Kevin
m
l
May 9, 2010 6:33:53 PM

paticpatic said:
Just to let you know that it worked, I rena :wahoo:  med those files and now bootup is normal. I un-installed that speed fan software so it should never happen again. Thanks for the advice. Kevin

You're welcome but you'd almost cracked this one yourself before you posted! :D 

m
l
June 13, 2010 7:35:24 AM

Best answer selected by aford10.
m
l
June 13, 2010 9:30:46 AM

aford10 said:
Best answer selected by aford10.

n
nHow kind - thanks very much. This is quite an old thread now - did you come across this problem and tried that to get around it?
m
l
June 18, 2010 12:28:11 PM

paticpatic said:

Hi guys,

Save me here! I am currently facing the EXACTLY same issue, so no need to re-explain.

I do have the XP CD, so I am able to enter the recovery mode. I then went under SYSTEM32 and renamed speedfan.sys to speedfan.xxx, following the recommendations.

I then tried rebooting it, and it now hangs at MUP.SYS.

I thought to myself, okay, I'll do the same: go under Windows/System32/Drivers and rename MUP.sys to MUP.xxx

Well, windows didnt like that idea, and now it hangs EVEN earlier than before, so I re-renamed it back to MUP.xxx

So I am back at point 0, with speedfan.sys already renamed as speedfan.xxx, but still does not boot.

Any pointers would be very much appreciated.

Thanks in advance,

BB
m
l
June 18, 2010 3:39:25 PM

BBorges said:
Hi guys,

Save me here! I am currently facing the EXACTLY same issue, so no need to re-explain.

I do have the XP CD, so I am able to enter the recovery mode. I then went under SYSTEM32 and renamed speedfan.sys to speedfan.xxx, following the recommendations.

I then tried rebooting it, and it now hangs at MUP.SYS.

I thought to myself, okay, I'll do the same: go under Windows/System32/Drivers and rename MUP.sys to MUP.xxx

Well, windows didnt like that idea, and now it hangs EVEN earlier than before, so I re-renamed it back to MUP.xxx

So I am back at point 0, with speedfan.sys already renamed as speedfan.xxx, but still does not boot.

Any pointers would be very much appreciated.

Thanks in advance,

BB

Could be that your problem isn't caused by the Speedfan software but something completely different. Can you post the blue screen Error Message that shows when you try to boot into Normal Mode?

m
l
!