Aspire 5100-3357 Memory Question

jamesp1

Distinguished
Dec 12, 2007
First, I read the FAQ's concerning memory and it was a great article! I also visited the websites to try and get the information I needed, but my Acer Laptop model was not listed. I have a few questions that I hope someone could clarify.
First my system was a cheapie laptop so yes I know you get what you pay for. It uses 1GB of memory and the Radeon Xpress 1100 video card eats away 256MB of that. That leaves me with 744 MB of memory to run Windows Vista premium and applications. (Syatem is slow) My system specs are

AMD Turion 64 Mobile technology MK-36 2.00 GHz
Radeon ATI Express 1100 Hypermemory
Aspire 5100-3357 (3357 is not listed on many of the websites)

I wanted to upgrade to 4GB of memory but am getting conflicting information. ACER said the system is only upgradeable to 2GB. The crucial memory website (scan) said the computer would support 4GB, but only 3-3.5GB waould be used.
ACER said the memory modules are
DDR2 PC2-4200 • CL=4 • Unbuffered • NON-ECC • DDR2-533

Crucial said I could run the above and
DDR2 PC2-5300 • CL=5 • Unbuffered • NON-ECC • DDR2-667

I know one is faster than the other, but which one is best for my system? there is not alot of price difference. Is there a benefit to running the faster speeds. I think my system bus speed is 533MHZ. But if I can get some gains from running the 667MHZ I will buy those.

Thanks for all your help!

G

First answer is YES you can add 2 2gig ram chips and only 3 gigs will be used/

Also you can add 1 2 gig and one 1 gig and 3 gigs will be used.
Crucail is correct and ACER or course is wrong.

The reason you can't find much data on the 5100-3357 is because it apparently doesn't exist (sic) although I have one (lucky me)