werdwolf

Distinguished
Dec 4, 2007
This will be my first build and I do have someone who can help me if I get stuck.

After reviewing a previous post and research etc, and knowing I want to play UT3 and do some photo editing with Photoshop Elements; I think this is the build I would like to go with.

https://secure.newegg.com/NewVersion/Wishlist/PublicWishDetail.asp?WishListNumber=7242706&WishListTitle=Semi+Final+Gamming+rig

I don’t think I want the quad core at this time, I realize the 8880GT is a little better card also.
I already have monitor, keyboard/mouse, etc.

I am concerned about the one review about the mobo and the E6750 processor

http://www.newegg.com/product/product.asp?item=N82E16813130098

Any comments about this?

Should I consider a mobo that would be capable of an upgrade to a quad core and Vista 64 bit in a couple of years? If so any recommendations?

Purchase Price 888.93

Less rebates
Case 20
MOBO 30
Video card 20
PSU 40
RAM 35

Total cost 743.93

Thanks for all who helped

Eviltwin17

Distinguished
Feb 21, 2006
your build seems good for now... although i highly recommend getting an 8800gt instead. what you might do is get a nicer board. Personally im not a huge fan of MSI motherboards... they often give me problems such as disabled onboard sound and such. i would suggest an asus or (decent) gigabyte board. As for future upgradeability: intel is kind of screwing over its following right now since it keeps introducing new products that require new chipsets almost every year and a half now. The best thing you can do is to buy the most recent chipset update (any board that supports 1333 or 1666fsb and you would most likely to be able to upgrade when nehalem comes out in the not too distant future. Penryn is right now, nehalem will probably release mid 2009 although im not sure if it will support ddr2 or not. Nothing is for certain these days. It used to be that all updated p965 boards would support 1333mhz core2 processors but thats not so much true anymore. Some do, but others don't... its really sketchy. Thank you intel for bringing out awesome processors but screw you for not making then compatible with nothing but the newer chipsets. At least AMD is doing something right in its AM2 forwards compatibility

werdwolf

Distinguished
Dec 4, 2007
Thanks for the link, it was just one of those things I hadn't got to. Probably will order this build in the next day or two. Looks like I'll have to pick another mobo, current one out of stock.