Need help installing Wd caviar green hd

RekNsx

Distinguished
Sep 27, 2008
I just got a WD caviar green 500 gb hd and thats where I'm stuck at.

Heres the deal The computer I want to install the harddrive on does not have a current hard drive on it, the original burned out.

I honestly have no idea what to do so I can't search the forum properly for similar questions.

I connected the harddrive and turned the computer but thats as far as I can get alone. : / Pathetic right?

Can someone please link me to a guide or something similar that will help me with the proper installation. Thanks in advance.

huron

Distinguished
Jun 4, 2007
You'll need an operating system

You should go into your BIOS and make sure that the CD/DVD drive is set as primary, put in the OS disk, install the OS onto the new hard drive, and you should be good.

It's hard for the hard drive to do you much good without an operating system.

RekNsx

Distinguished
Sep 27, 2008
Alright so I grabbed my old harddrive and It can still boot the os but certain sectors are damaged(not related to the os).

I wanted to see if you huron or anyone else could help me transfer the os from my old wd to my new one which is currently being used as a storage device within the computer.

(I would also like to know if this would delete any files on my newer hard rive old hd files no longer matter I recovered them to the new one.)

huron

Distinguished
Jun 4, 2007
It's difficult to transfer things from on old HDD to a new one. The OS writes things to the registry which helps it run. I'm not sure if you copied it all to the new one if it would work.

Why not reinstall? No disc?

RekNsx

Distinguished
Sep 27, 2008
Just some sectors of the disk I can run the os fine from there for the majority of the time but it does crash at random.

huron

Distinguished
Jun 4, 2007
Crashing is not good. I don't recall there being a way to actually copy one to the other. You could recover, image (norton ghost, acronis true image) to the new drive, remap the drive, and it should work.

It doesn't usually play nice trying to recover to a different drive, but you could try.

siva_27

Distinguished
Oct 1, 2008
You should go into your BIOS and make sure that the CD/DVD drive is set as primary, put in the OS disk, install the OS onto the new hard drive.And you will experience the difference.
-------------------
siva

<a href="http://www.sreevyshcorp.in" rel="dofollow">sreevyshcorp</a>

siva_27

Distinguished
Oct 1, 2008
You should go into your BIOS and make sure that the CD/DVD drive is set as primary, put in the OS disk, install the OS onto the new hard drive.And you will experience the difference.
-------------------
siva

sreevyshcorp