Think my Hard drive crashed...Could use some know how

Battaglia

Distinguished
Sep 24, 2008
So i ironically i was searching for parts, because im about to build my new computer, when it simply froze. I had to turn it off via the power button, as it started up it got past the mobo screen and started scanning for the drive but kept doing this ............................................. as in it cant find it. I turned it off and started again, same thing. Next time i tried it it actually showed the hard drive but instead of the windows xp screen popping up all it was was a black screen with a cursor in the upper left hand corner, eventually it asked me to select a boot device. Im not very computer savy, do you think i lost my hard drive?

At startup enter the bios or (setup) should tell you what to press in the very first screen it's usually f2. look around in there for a listing of bootable devices. if you don't see your hdd then it's gone. at that time try opening the pc and unplugging and replugging the wires to the HDD and from the mobo to the hdd. (make sure you pull the power first.)

Zorg

Splendid
May 31, 2004
Open the case and check the drive connections. Go into BIOS and see if you can see the drive.

I guess I was a little late on that. :lol:

Usually the delete key unless it's a Dell, HP etc. My brother has a Sony, God help him, and it's F10.

Battaglia

Distinguished
Sep 24, 2008
Wow sigh of relief, it was a lose sata cable. I thought it was jealous i decided to get a new Raptor and put a gun to its head out of spite. Thanks everyone.

evilshuriken

Distinguished
Jun 14, 2006
Sata cables are tricky business. I've never once had an IDE cable fail, but SATA cables aren't quite as reliable. They are more fragile and they tend to come loose some times if they don't have that locking mechanism on the plugs.