Replaced boot drive with new RAID 0 setup - windows wont log on??

CalifLove

Distinguished
Mar 2, 2006
Hello all,

I recently purchased 2 WD 640GB disks which I have placed into a RAID 0 config using the onboard Intel controller on my Asus P5q-E. Previous to this setup, I was running 2 IDE drives with Windows XP.

I have cloned my original boot drives over to the new RAID partition using Norton Ghost.

Upon booting with the Raid drives, Windows starts to load normally but then gets stuck at the first blue logon screen without the actual prompt to log in showing up. All there is now is a small Windows XP Logo...the one you get right before it pops up with the username login prompt?

ANY ideas what is going on here? I have tried booting to safe mode, Safe mood cmd... I'm sort of at a loss at this point.

Any help is greatly appreciated!

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Yeh, it's the change in drive controller causing you issues. XP boots to a certain point, then when it reaches that point it tries to continue loading with the standard ATA driver and gets stuck.

You can probably fix it with a repair installation, using the driver floppy at the F6 prompt. When you load the right drivers at the repair instal, those should be the drivers it uses. You'll lose all the windows updates that aren't on the XP CD, however.

CalifLove

Distinguished
Mar 2, 2006
Hello again. I do not see that option, essentially my options at boot are to install windows and repair with recovery console. I can get to recovery console but can't find any tools from there that would resolve the problem..., Not sure why I don't have any other repair options listed on the first blue screen?

CalifLove

Distinguished
Mar 2, 2006
HEh, gotcha! Thanks. I am all set now.

I ended up having to do the repair two times - after the first, I was able to boot to windows but saw that my drive letters were all screwed so I manually changed them via the registry - http://support.microsoft.com/kb/223188 . upon doing that, I could not boot again - windows would stick at the screen as before.. Another repair install fixed that and now I am good.. except as you said, have to install all the updates over again which isnt that big of a deal.

Thanks again for your help!