motorola

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Hello

I need some help with a problem i am having with my pc and i will be very happy if someone can help me. I had bought a memory upgrade last month, first few weeks of installing the upgrade, there was no problems but after few weeks my pc started to restart for no reason and than refuse to even reach my desktop. When i took out the upgrade, the chip was very hot even though i had not used the pc much on the day.

Here are some information that might come useful in helping me solve this problem:
Upgrade: Kingston 512MB DDR PC3200 400MHz CL3 Memory Module

PC Specification: System Memory

* Supports 2 memory slots.
* Supports a maximum memory size of 2 GB (using 2 x 1 GB memory modules)
* 400/333/266 MHz
* Support only 2.5 V DIMM DDRAM configurations
* Unbuffered type support

Motherboard: Santiago (P5S800-VM)

Did i buy the wrong upgrade? Do i need a fan? Any help in resolving this issue will be great and i will be very grateful.

Thank You

motorola

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
i am currently using the memtest program to check both of my memory stick. The original 256mb stick has all passed, which the test lasted 10mins. The 512mb stick however is failing nearly everything. So far it has 11million errors and 2 passes. The test have been going on for nearly 2hrs and still carrying on.
What does this mean? the memory stick is useless? Also, should i stop the test, since its been going on forever.

motorola

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
it seems the memory chip is doing the same thing even on the other slot, im thinking it may be faulty, what do you think? then i can get a replacement