only POSTs half the time

jefbystereo

Distinguished
Nov 27, 2007
I have had this issue for a while, but decided to finally try to fix it since it seems to be getting worse. My computer doesnt always post, maybe only 50% of the time. When it does, it runs stable and perfectly, the only problem is that initial startup.

I have taken out all cards, disconnected cd, dvd and floppy drives, alternated hard drives, pulled out each ram module at a time, and tried two power supplies. Nothing so far has given reliable startups.

Does anyone have any ideas why it will POST only some of the time?

Thermaltake 500w (brand new), or emachines random 250w
Athlon 64 3700+
Chaintech Mk8t890
EVGA 6600gt (pcie)
Fusion HDTV (pci)
Netgear wireless (pci)
emachines case
2x512mb ram (not sure of brand or if they are matched)

utaka95

Distinguished
Jan 12, 2006
You might have a bad power (on/off) switch on your case. Swap it with the reset switch if possible. Or you could try updating/refreshing the bios.

jefbystereo

Distinguished
Nov 27, 2007
Is the on/off switch capable of causing these problems? I thought that once it applies power it is all the same. (it is kind of a crappy button, it has gotten stuck in the case from time to time). Ill give it a look tonight.

What is the best test, other than just ripping the button off and taking it apart?

jefbystereo

Distinguished
Nov 27, 2007
So I bypassed the power switch and it didn't help (same problems) I also reset the cmos and put in a new battery, and removed and reseated the cpu but it still seems to be doing the same things. I havent a clue.